1. Default Danville, KY to New Port Richey (Pasco County), FL

Hey again. I'll start by saying I am young and will be travelling alone. I have come to the realization that I need to move out of my state to begin a stable career. I am quite the anxious driver, especially around heavy traffic. I have driven I-75 from the Mount Vernon exit in KY, all the way to Chattanooga a few times and do not find it to be a problem, although the area from Jellico to outside of Knoxville can be hairy in bad weather.

I took a job in Kansas City for a year and ended up hating it and moved back home. I did not particularly enjoy I-70 from STL to KC due to high truck traffic and lots of things going on the road, having to constantly pass trucks and the interstate overall seemed poorly designed. Makes sense to me that the state of Missouri is trying to improve it.

I thought I would be moving to Coeur D'Alene... but that opportunity fell through. I am not guaranteed this job in Florida either, but just thought i'd pick your brain on a few things here...

is it feasible to somehow avoid Atlanta? Where would a good halfway point be for this trip?

Thanks again guys, for everything. It is much appreciated.

Going through Atlanta is the shortest and most straightforward route. If you went that way, the Southern Suburbs of Atlanta would be about halfway, although getting down to Macon could work well for you too.

You've got a couple option to avoid Atlanta. One would be to basically use US-27 through Georgia, going through Rome and Columbus, with Columbus being about the halfway point for you. After Columbus, you could either continue down US-27 and then use US-19 to make your way down FL's gulf coast, or work your way back to I-75 via Athens. That doesn't add a lot of miles, and is still mostly 4 lane roads, but you'd have a lot more towns you'd be driving through so would be slower.

The other option would be to swing out Southeast from Knoxville, using I-40 and I-26 to I-95. Once you're in Florida, US-301 would take you back to I-75. That does add about 70 miles to your trip.

3. Default

Thanks for the tips. I may just try to leave around 5-6PM which would put me in Atlanta late enough that I would think it would not be a concern.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 09-09-2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Removed Quote of Entire Previous Post

That plan would have a whole new set of problems.

You're looking at 400 miles to get through Atlanta. That means if you don't leave until around 6, you're not going to get through the city until at least 1 am. True, you probably won't have a lot of traffic at that time, but presumably the reason you aren't leaving until that late is because you have other things you'll be doing all day long. Getting on the road and putting in nearly a full day worth of miles after a full day of work or activity really puts you in danger of driving fatigued.

If you want to get through Atlanta relatively late, I would try to get on the road by about 3, which will still get you into Atlanta late enough where traffic shouldn't be a big problem, but early enough where you can stop and get rest on the far side of the city.