1. Default Greetings & need advice on Road Trip from San Jose to Crater Lake this December

Good day, Everybody!
    I'm new on this forum... And I'm from Indonesia.
    I'm planning tio visit My Eldest Sister this December, She lives in San Jose.
    So at the first, we had plan to go to Yosemite NP. But later, the plan's chaged. She wanted to go to Crater Lake.
    My Question is : is it doable? Since i searched & googled, seems it's a bit difficult to drive there.
    Any Advices?
    Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Access to Crater Lake is extremely limited in December. The Rim Village is really the only accessible area. All of the roads around the rim of the lake are closed due to snow.

Crater Lake is also a much farther drive, it's basically a full day drive, each way, from San Jose. Yosemite is only 3-4 hours from San Jose. Considering the distance, and how much more you can do in winter, personally, I'd pick Yosemite if I were in your shoes.

Even in Yosemite in December, you will likely be required to carry tire chains to enter the park, and the Tioga Road and Glacier Point will be closed. You may have to enter via CA-140 and be pretty much restricted to the valley.

4. Default

Thank you for the fast response, Midwest Michael & glc!
    I'll forward the tips to her & discuss this.
    Warn regard.

5. Default Prepaid SIM Card for Road Trip San Jose - Flagstaff?

Hi Everyone

So, I need another Advices here.
    I contacted my Local Provider (Indonesian)0 about using International Roaming for my Internet Connection during my 1 month stay in US.
    It'd cost me around 350 $. The Customer Service suggested me to buy Prepaid SIM Card, if I'm planning to stay for more than 1 week.
    So I googled and read some tips about the Prepaid SIM Card on US.
    1. What're the Requirements?
    2. Which Provider will be best for Road Trip from San Jose to Flagstaff, since mostly I will use GPS or Maps App all the time.

Looking forward for Your Advices
    And many Thanks!

If you have an unlocked GSM phone, you can go to an AT&T store and buy a "Go Phone" sim.

As with most things there isn't a one size fits all answer.

There are 4 major cell providers in the US.

Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile

Verizon and Sprint Use CDMA signals.

AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM, which is far more common internationally, and more likely to work with your existing phones, although an increasing number of phones will work across both spectrums, and thus it depends upon the details of your phone.

Verizon and AT&T tend to have a larger coverage area, Sprint and T-Mobile tend to be cheaper. There are also a lot of 3rd party providers, who are typically less expensive, that operate on the networks of the big 4.

Also keep in mind, cell and data service is generally pretty good along the Interstates, once you get away from them, your service will likely become much more limited. In National Parks, you may not have service at all, no matter who your provider is. That's another reason that you should always be basing your planning on paper maps, and not rely on your phone/GPS as a primary means of navigation.

If you are using Android with Google Maps, you can save offline maps for where there is no cell coverage, the GPS function will still work. If you do this, do it over wifi to save on your data usage.

A wifi-enabled laptop will help with your planning.

9. Default

Sorry for the very late reply, Dear Friend.
    Thanks once again for your tips. Done that. And now i'm at Flagstaff, enjoying my 1st White Christmas 😬
    Happy Holiday for you & Merry Xmas!

10. Default

Thanks for the tips, @glc 👍🏼