1. Default Day trip Million dollar mile

My friend and I would like to drive from Crested Butte, CO to the million dollar mile in Colorado . We are not sure how long it would take to drive there and back , we only have one day left of our vacation . Anybody have any advice ?

South of England.

Default You could.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The Million dollar Highway is a section of US550 that runs between Ouray and Silverton although the whole highway is quite spectacular. Driving as far as Silverton would be a comfortable day on the road and give you time to stop and enjoy the towns, perhaps make a quick stop at Black canyon. It would be possible to stretch further south, as far as Durango, but would be a fuller day behind the wheel with less time for stops. If there was an option where you could start from Montrose you could consider driving the San Juan Skyway loop which incorporates the Million dollar Highway and from Durango head to Dolores and up through Telluride.

[You haven't said when your trip is taking place so I have moved it to summer Road trips. If it's Fall and winter you need to keep an eye on road conditions and weather forecasts.]
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 08-30-2016 at 12:48 AM.

3. Default

Thanks , yes today is our last day in Crested Butte August 30 2016 . Planning on a day trip there and back to Crested Butte .

Green County, Wisconsin

As Dave mentioned, if you're doing this as a daytrip, it would be tough to do the entire highway all the way down to Durango and back in one day. You could cover the miles, but you'd practically have to be in the car all day, with little to no time to stop in Ouray or Silverton.

I would absolutely recommend planning some time at Black Canyon, however, you may already be doing that at some other point in your trip. Since we don't know what the rest of your trip look likes, it's always going to be tough to give you complete advice.