1. Default Family Road Trip from Central NJ to Boston, best places to visit for younger kids?

Hi,

My wife and I are taking the our kids (ages 6, 2 and 1) to Boston this long labor day weekend. We will be driving up from Central NJ.

My first question is should I take CT-15 or I-95? I am especially looking for which is better in terms of traffic and availability of rest area?

Second could someone recommend what my kids might enjoy the most in the Boston area? Right now we are planning to visit the Boston children's museum and Thomas Land in nearby by Edaville. Are there any places better than these? If you had to choose between either of these two for your kids, which would you choose? My kids do love Thomas the tank engine but it seems relatively new and didn't get the best of reviews.

Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions.

Welcome to RTA!

I-95 is a traffic nightmare most of the time, especially on a holiday weekend, and the Merritt Parkway can be pretty congested too.

I'd recommend you do this - take I-287 across the Tappan Zee and the Cross Westchester, then take I-684 to I-84. Take that to I-691 to I-91 to the Charter Oak Bridge to I-84 to the Mass Pike.

There aren't a lot of rest areas, but there are facilities and services at a lot of exits.

Default Children's Museum any day.

You can't beat the Boston Children's Museum. My Boston based grandchildren have always loved that.

Another thing you might consider is the Old Sturbridge Village. You'll see it mentioned just before you get to the Masspike, on I-84.

I and they are not aware of Thomas Land. Guess they are a bit old for that now.

Lifey

Default An Alternate Alternative

I used to make this trip from New England to the Delaware Bay area maybe half a dozen times a year for 15 years or so and had a lot of time and opportunities to experiment. My favorite way around New York and avoiding I-95 altogether takes a bit of navigational ability, but if you're going to have someone in the "co-pilot's seat" who can read a map and convey directions to the driver, it's well worth it. As glc suggested, you start by taking I-287 around the western suburbs of New York, but when you cross into New York state, take I-87 north rather than continuing on I-287(east)/I-87(south) over the Tappan Zee Bridge. Shortly thereafter, take Exit 5 for NY-17 north to Sloatsburg where you'll take a right onto Seven Lakes Parkway through Harriman State Park. At the far end of the park, get on US-6 and cross the Hudson on the Bear Mountain Bridge. Continue on US-6/US-202 south along the Hudson for a bit and then turn left to take the Bear Mountain Parkway around Peekskill and back onto US-202. Next up is a right onto NY-116 and a left onto NY-22 which will put you on I-684 north and you can then take I-84 through Connecticut and hit the Mass Pike (I-90) at Sturbridge. The Mass Pike goes directly into downtown Boston.

Once you're in Boston, little kids don't need a lot to keep them amused. Almost anything outdoors that they can't see at home will make them happy. So certainly Boston Common with its Swan Boats would be fine as would a visit to Old Ironsides. Most of the other sites on the Freedom Trail might put their patience to the test. Another possibility is to take the ferry over to Cape Cod, a walk around the town, and an evening trip back to Boston.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 08-29-2016 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JahanNJ View Post
    Hi,

My wife and I are taking the our kids (ages 6, 2 and 1) to Boston this long labor day weekend. We will be driving up from Central NJ.

My first question is should I take CT-15 or I-95? I am especially looking for which is better in terms of traffic and availability of rest area?

Second could someone recommend what my kids might enjoy the most in the Boston area? Right now we are planning to visit the Boston children's museum and Thomas Land in nearby by Edaville. Are there any places better than these? If you had to choose between either of these two for your kids, which would you choose? My kids do love Thomas the tank engine but it seems relatively new and didn't get the best of reviews.

Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions.
    The Boston Museum of Science is great for all ages. Good luck!

6. Default

Thank you all for your suggestions. I don't have a co-pilot to help me with directions and I am not very good at finding my way if I get lost, so I am going to take the Garden State Parkway to the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Merrit. Seems like the simplest option and at least I stay clear of NYC.