1. Default Better road trip from Coeur de alene, Banff&Jasper or Yellowstone?

Which road trip would you rather do in September if it's going to be fairly fast paced (figure five days from departure), and suppose that you're not a big time hiker (>2 miles a day on trails is really pushing it). I'd prefer to drive and park at lookouts to see the beauty.

I'm sure both would be great, but if you guys prefer one over the other, where would you stop, sleep, and for how long?

South of England.

Default Heads or tails.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Not a lot of help really, but the one that is better is the one that appeals to you the most, they are 2 great options, as you suggested, so take your pick. With either option you could add a detour to Glacier NP and if you decide Yellowstone, a visit to the Grand Tetons would be in order. You could easily spend 3 or 4 days looking around the highlights of Yellowstone and Teton's, so you may not want to add anything else. You could choose different lodges around the park and explore different areas that way, or set up a single base and go out and back each day. West Yellowstone has a selection of lodgings just outside.

If pushed, I would probably choose Yellowstone. Lot's to see with nice viewpoints and short Boardwalks through the Geysers and Hot Springs.

Southern California

Yellowstone in September is a lot less crowded. If you're speaking of this year, do realize that at the moment, the southern gateway for Yellowstone is closed due to fires, so to get to the Grand Tetons, you'd have to "go around". There are small fires in each park, currently, but nothing that will keep you from visiting.

Glacier is also mentioned. Waterton Lakes, the Canadian "sister park" to the US's Glacier NP, is also beautiful, but it doesn't take long to see. If you go to Glacier, it's probably easiest to stay in St Mary, East Glacier Park Village, West Glacier, Coram, or Columbia Falls. (My husband and I stayed in East Glacier Park Village at Mountain Pines Motel. Great place to stay, this past summer.) In Waterton, you may be able to land something inside the townsite of Waterton. If not, Pincher Creek is north, Cardston is east.

4. Default

Thank you!

Green County, Wisconsin

I would probably lean towards Yellowstone, especially if you want to do this as a round trip in 5 days.

Yellowstone has such an amazing variety of things to see - from geysers and hot springs to waterfalls and wildlife, and so much more you can see a lot of different things all in the same place. Factoring a day to drive there and back, 3 days is a nice amount of time to see this very large park.

Banff and Jasper are also a very nice area, but to do both parks, you're talking about a lot larger of an area to cover. Factoring in drive time, you'd basically have a day and a half in Banff, a day to drive the Icefields Parkway between the two, and then a day in Jasper before having to get back. If you decide you'd rather do Banff with 5 days, then I'd probably just focus on Banff and the closer Yoho and Kootenay National Parks.

Southern California

The other consideration for ANY Canadian parks: do you have a passport? They will ask for one at the border going in both directions. No passports, this September, means you shouldn't plan on any Canadian destinations.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Another consideration.

Do you like to stay put, or move on each day?

I'd see Yellowstone as one place to visit, though you could move accommodation within the park. Whereas with the Canadian Rockies, there are many places to visit between Banff and Jasper, where you could move on each day.