Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PA to Oregon move

Hello,

First time on this forum and hoping for some good advice. I am moving from Pittsburgh to Portland OR around Nov/Dec but because of this time frame, I should consider the southern route. Have a friend in Tuscan, AZ so will focus on this route first. No sightseeing on the way as I am on a schedule to start a new life. Asking for the best, safest routes to consider as I will be traveling with my Golden Retriever.

Also I belong to AAA and was told by friend to pick up a personalized route map but not sure how that works. Any suggestions/opinions for my move would be most appreciate. Many thanks.

KT

Default Adding lots of time to the schedule ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

What type of a schedule are you on ? I can't see that adding almost 1000 miles to your journey by taking a southern route via Tucson (?) would help that. Interstates are a priority to keep clear and open so the country can keep on the move so the extra 2 days driving could be spent waiting out a storm in the event of an unusually long delay. Not to mention the fact that the south see's it's share of poor weather and there might not be any weather events at all.

The direct route would be I80 to I84 and you will need a minimum of 4 overnight stops. If you want to visit your friend on that basis alone then you would be looking at 6 overnight stops for the journey, but don't add lots of time to the journey to try and avoid something that may not occur.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

It appears that you have fallen into one of the biggest, and yet most dangerous myths of winter travel. Despite what you think or may have been told, generically "going south" is actually one of the worst things you can do if you are concerned about safety on a winter trip. It's simply not possible to avoid the chance of winter weather on a cross country trip, and all you end up doing is adding more miles - which increase the time you need to be on the road, increases the number of days you could potentially see a storm, and gives you fewer days to react if a storm hits.

In your case, Pittsburgh to Portland directly is about a 2600 mile trip, which means you'll already need a solid 5 days on the road. Adding a detour to Tucson makes it a 3500 mile trip, meaning you'd need a bare minimum of 7 days, if you hit good weather. Of course, you'd still have the chance of seeing bad weather all the way down to Tucson (I-10 just east of Tucson gets snow every year) and then you'd have more chances of snow as you make your way across the mountains of California and Oregon.

A more direct route would have 2 basic options - you could take I-80 all the way to Utah and up I-84 to Oregon, or you could use I-94/I-90 across the Dakotas and Montana and then dip back down once you get to Washington. This is another case where going north might be a better option, as I-90 is generally at a lower elevation than I-80, but your best bet would be to look at the weather forecasts just before you leave, and see where the weather will be best during your specific days of travel. Of course, you still might not be able to avoid a storm, but even in a worst case, you could sit in a hotel for 2 days and wait for conditions to improve, and you'd still be better off than if you went all the way down to Tucson.

Now, if you really want to visit your friend in Tucson, there is nothing wrong with doing that by itself, but when you say you're on a tight schedule already, that doesn't seem like it fits in with the rest of your plan.

AAA will provide a triptik which is their "personalize route" service, however, it really doesn't provide much anything you can't find with the various free online mapping programs available. What would be more important is stopping and picking up their paper maps, which are included with your membership, so you can know all of your options as you get ready to hit the road.

Thank you very much for your reply Southwest Dave. It all makes sense. I would feel better staying on major interstates due to rest stops/gas. Now I just need to plan on where to stay each night as I will have my dog with me.

When I moved from Las Vegas to Massachusetts in 2010, it did take me 5 days but I was also hauling a 5x8 U-Haul trailer so couldn't go above 60mph. I did 500mi/day which took 12hrs each day because of driving slower (this trip was 1st part of Nov and I did take southern route but was very fortunate, sunshine the whole way). Would you also suggest 500-600mi/day?

Thank you Midwest Michael. I'm sure you will also see my post to SW Dave. Good to know about the alternative routes I-94/I-90, reason why I joined this forum. And thanks for the tidbit on the AAA service.

Would you also agree that doing 500-600mi/day is reasonable? Of course weather pending. When I moved from Mass to Pittsburgh, took me about 10hrs which was roughly 530mi.

Same mileage, yes. Are you going to be towing a trailer as well as having the dog?

As a general rule, Motel 6 and La Quinta are both chains that are regularly pet-friendly. Other places have either a few rooms put aside that are "pet rooms", or are a "no pets at all" facility.

I'd heed the advice above and have both a "plan A" and a "plan B" available for routing. Carry those paper maps with you. My husband and I no longer bother with AAA TripTik's any more; we carry paper maps, our smartphone, a GPS (phones and GPS are nice for finding those elusive addresses within a city or town), and we like a book called "The Next Exit" (though it's not an absolutely necessity).

Donna

I would suggest no more than 550 miles /10 hours per day as beyond that point fatigue can set in quickly and the affects can be carried into the next day and so on, progressively getting worse. Over the course of a day's travel you can expect to average around 57 mph with rest and fuel stops and to eat etc and to allow the dog to get some exercise. If you averaged 550 miles you would only have to cover an additional 370 miles on the last leg. Once you have mapped it out you can look at the Roadtrip Motel link to the right of each page to find pet friendly Hotels in 'that' City.

As others have mentioned, 550-600 miles is very much what you should plan - and that will work out to about 10 hours a day on the road. By comparison, professional drivers are limited to driving about 600 miles in a day, because of safety laws.

If you end up taking I-80, then places I would look to stop are Peoria, IL (Using I-70/I-74 across OH, IN, and IL to avoid Tolls/Chicago); Kearney, NE; Rock Springs, WY; and Ontario, ID. Those are all about 575 miles apart, so they're at the upper limit of how far you should travel, but all have a nice range of motels to pick from. Because of weather concerns, make sure any reservations you make can be changed in case you need to scale back a day or two, or you decide to take another route.

Thank you so much for your reply Donna. No, will not be towing anything this trip and dog will be in car with me. I will pick up some paper maps for each state my route takes me through.

Can you generally find a Motel 6 and La Quinta off the those major interstates? This way I can enter the motel destination each night into my cell GPS.

Michael, I was just looking online at the I-70/I-74 routes you suggested to avoid more tolls. Does this sound accurate? After I'm done with the PA turnpike (76W) it reads to get on I-71S toward Columbus, then 270W (for 17mi) and onto I-70 for approx 176mi then onto I-74 for approx 204mi toward Peoria.