Default Sanfrancisco to Las Vegas

Hi all , this is my first time using this site and looking forward to all your advice . My name is Paul and I'm from England UK . I'm planning a trip to the US next year with my wife around Sept/Oct . We would like to fly into San Francisco stay 2/3 nights then drive to Las Vegas via Yosemite and Death Valley . I would like to drive on the most scenic roads and route staying for 1 night in Yosemite and 1 night in Death Valley albeit if we need to stay 1 extra night enroute then that's no problem . We aim then to spend 5 nights in Las Vegas flying on to Florida for 2 weeks . I would invite you to offer your much needed advice ! Yours sincerely Jolley-Nock

South of England.

Default An amazing drive !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Having visited Yosemite the favoured route [and most scenic imo] would be to travel over the Sierra's on Tioga Pass [CA120] and then head south down US 395 to Lone Pine and then take CA136/190 across Death valley. When you get to Death valley junction where 190 meets 127 you can take the 'Locals route', turnin g right and immediate left onto State line Road/ Bell Vista road to Pahrump and then 160 into Vegas.

I would certainly recommend adding another night in Yosemite as it is a big and beautiful place with much to explore including the Valley, Glacier point, Mariposa Grove and the highlights over Tioga Pass. The views from Glacier point should not be missed !

There is much to do in Vegas and the surrounding area but with 5 nights I would plan on spending at least one at Grand canyon NP on the south rim. It's to far for a day trip and tours from Vegas generally go to the West rim which is a tourist trap and not part of the National park and nowhere near as spectacular.

One more thing. While in SF I would recommend a trip to Alcatraz Island, a great experience. If you are planning to do so then I would recommend booking your boat tickets in advance through the Official National park office. This will save waiting in long queues with the risk of getting close to the boat and finding out it is full and you have to wait for the next one. It's also the only official ticket office where you don't pay agents fees or have to book other tours as well, which is another way they make their money.