1. Default New York to Madison Wisconsin(british family seek advice please)

Hello to all you all, well those that have taken the time to read this!
    My name is Ben and I am planning on talking my family(wife and three children aged 13/11/9) on a trip next july/aug.
    The plan is to fly into NYC where we have friends stay for 4 nights, then pick up a car and travel for 6 nights to Madison where we also have friends, so basically looking for any tips or advice on road tripping itself, p[laces to visit/stay/eat and so on, would like to see the real America and places of beauty not so much theme parks although don't mind a couple.
    My rout planned at the moment is new York to Ithaca, then to buffalo for Niagara, then Cleveland then maybe grand rapids, then somewhere else???
    So if anybody can give any advice I would be very grateful.
    Look forward to hearing from you all!

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Good, Some Bad

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There is a lot of scenic beauty and large chunks of what many would call 'Real America' between New York City and Madison. Unfortunately there is also a lot of traffic, large cities, and expensive toll roads, so picking your route will be critical to meeting your goals. Your eastern leg(s) seem to be a bit more defined, so let's start with that portion.

From New York City to Niagara (going trough Ithaca) there is a wealth of scenic opportunities. Let's start with one that many people overlook. Heading west on I-80 to far western New Jersey, take Exit 1 and follow NJ-606/NJ-615 north through the Delaware Water Gap, crossing the Delaware River to Dingmans Ferry PA and US-209 up to Milford. From there I-84 west, I-81 north, I-86 west and NY-96/NY-96B will take you up to Ithaca. While there be sure to visit Taughannock Falls State Park and the namesake waterfall which is taller than Niagara.

Next up, you'll need to consult some good road maps because this is your chance to both hit two great state parks, Watkins Glen and Letchworth, as well as to get well off the beaten track in central New York. To do so, you'll need to follow some smaller state highways and even smaller county roads (but nothing so bad as your 'B' roads).

From Niagara, you'll be basically following Lake Erie, but you can either just take the Interstate, I-90, or follow the shoreline using NY-5/PA-5/US-20 to Cleveland where you've got a number of great attractions including the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, the Natural History Museum, and Cedar Point in nearby Sandusky.

However, your western leg(s) from Cleveland to Madison presentS a bit of a challenge, namely Chicago which can be a real nightmare to drive through or around. You do have a few options. You can head well south and west around the city using US-24 from Toledo through Fort Wayne and continuing westward to I-39 north to Madison. Or if Grand Rapids is a must-see for you then you can consider using the Lake Express Ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee.

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-26-2016 at 02:05 PM.

3. Default

That is some brilliant information and I cant thank you enough,
    Funny the reason I wanted to visit Ithaca is to see them falls,
    Sounds like I may need to be very road savvy to get myself across which is slightly daunting!
    However you have given me some great stuff to work with and I cant thank you enough!
    I may pick your brains again soon!