1. Default Road trip from Clinton, NY to Cheyenne, WY

Hello! I am trying to plan a road trip for summer 2017 from Clinton, NY to Cheyenne, WY. This is my first time planning anything of this sort and I have no clue where to begin! I would love to know what kind of affordable friendly lodging is available in or near Cheyenne. We also were planning on stopping in Loveland, CO and would like any kind of helpful info about this areas lodging! Any extra information about planning a road trip and figuring out prices for gas and motels along the way is much appreciated! Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia

Default Start at the very beginning....

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Treese09 View Post
    This is my first time planning anything of this sort and I have no clue where to begin!
    There is no better way to start planning a road trip, than by following the advice in this paragraph......

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    Good maps are available from AAA (free if you are a member) and Rand McNally - or you may prefer to work with a road atlas.

Tucson, AZ

Default Start with Some Basics

Whenever planing a trip of this magnitude, it's important to keep things simple at the beginning to make sure that what you're planning is feasible, and only once you've figured out the basic plan, and just as importantly - the limits of that plan, then you can start worrying about details. Okay, so first things first... It will take a minimum of three days to drive from Clinton to Cheyenne. That's with no stops along the way and no detours to places like Loveland. So, you need a minimum of a week just to make the round-trip drive between Clinton and Cheyenne, including a detour to Loveland and slightly different routes east- and westbound for some variety. You'll also need to plan at least two overnight stops each way. those would be roughly Jamestown IN and Adair IA just for reference. If you would like to make any major stops en route then you'll need to add time to your driving schedules and adjust your overnight stop points accordingly. So how much time do you have for the trip? If you chew up a full week just driving to your destination, does that leave you enough time there to make the trip worthwhile? Is just 'getting there' all you want or do you want to see stuff along the way?

That brings you to your next basic planning decision: What do you want to do on this trip? What are your interests? What kinds of road do you want to drive? Would you rather spend time in urban or rural environments? Basically what kind of RoadTrip are you envisioning. Then what kinds of accommodations are you used comfortable with? Motels? BnBs? Resorts? Cabins? And what's your budget (roughly)? Only once, and you, know the answer to all those very basic questions can you, and we, start to fill in the details of your trip to make it one that suits you and is one that you remember, fondly, for years to come.

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-25-2016 at 07:57 AM.

Southern California

Once you've followed Lifey's and AZBuck's advice, then you can start to think about lodging. Lodging anywhere can be researched through "lodging XXXX, XX" in Google -- i.e. "lodging Cheyenne WY". When I did that, I came up with a *lot* of properties, from mom-and-pop motels and Motel 6, all the way up to the pricier chains. In Google, if you enter the approximate date you are planning to stay in that city, it will show you the average price of each lodging on that date. That can give you an idea. (BTW, along the way, don't hesitate to stay in some of the smaller towns, or out in a city's suburbs. It's often cheaper. If staying in a city, pass through the city first and stay on the opposite side, so you'll avoid morning rush hour when you depart.)

As far as figuring out prices for fuel, that will bear watching over the fall and spring, because gas prices rise and fall as part of the political scene. If you have a smartphone, get an app called GasBuddy -- it was the app we used the most. (Second to that was the weather app.) This GasBuddy app helped us plan where the most advantageous place would be to fuel up, based on price and location. Occasionally, going 1 mile off the freeway would save us 30c a gallon, and it was GasBuddy that told us the price *and* would give you directions to find it. If you are trying to put together a budget now, a year in advance, then aim for the "worst case scenario" and budget at $3.50/gal (regular unleaded). Figure out how many miles you'll drive there and back, add 20-25% for "sightseeing miles", and enter that in the Fuel Cost Calculator on this site.

Ft. Collins, CO.

Cheyenne isn't a big town by many standards. They have the FE Warren Air Force base there which services the missile fields. The big annual event is Cheyenne Frontier Days. (Bringing your saddle and rodeo vest so you can participate?)

You might want to contact the Cheyenne chamber of commerce for their list of lodgings and recreation info.

There are lots more hotels and businesses down south in Colorado. Ft. Collins is a pretty good town and Loveland is a smaller version of Ft. Collins but both have lots of major and minor hotels and restaurants and shopping and stuff like that.

There are lots of towns along I-80 thru Nebraska that cater to travelers. There are also lots of small towns off that heavily travelled route. But I don't know enough to recommend anywhere to stay.

One tidbit is that there are a lot of really nicely paved roads out in the prairie east of Cheyenne in Nebraska and Colorado. When you drive them you'll wonder why the roads are so nice until you see the fenced enclosure and security systems for an underground missile silo. (they need good all weather roads to move missiles to/from the holes)