1. Default Washinton DC to Nashville TN

We are travelling next April - May 2017 to the States and will be Driving form New York down to New Orleans. we have a long section form Washington to Nashville to drive and unfortunately we only have 4 days to do this part of the trip so stand to miss out on a lot to see. I have looked at several options and would like to do the Skyline drive. we are not hikers so just to drive through great scenery would be fantastic. I would like to stay off the inter- states as much as possible but still do it in the 4 days. I know I am asking a lot but any tips would be great even if it means 3 days of not much mileage and a long dive on the I 40 at the end. can anyone help? cheers Dave

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

Allow about 5 hours to drive the 105 miles of Skyline Drive. That's with no hiking, only brief stops at viewpoints, a look around the visitor center and maybe a gift shop. The drive is beautiful.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Four days to wander at your leisure.

At 1200 miles over four days, you have time to wander a little off the direct route, and see some great scenery.

You could include The Great Smokey Mountains - lovely for a drive through - and after Nashville pick up the Natchez Trace Parkway, or make your way to Memphis, and pick up The Great River Road to New Orleans.

All are slow going, but you have the time to do most, if not all of those, and see some great country and historic places.