1. Default Vancouver to St.George, Utah!

Hi everyone,

I need to drive from Vancouver, BC to St. George, Utah the first week of September. I wanted to know if anyone had any route suggestions? I will be leaving the afternoon of September 3rd and I will need to be in St. George by September 6 at about 5:00PM.

Is it best to take the I-5 down through Portland and through California and then cut across towards Reno and then over? If I were to take the I-5 down where in California should I start cutting across? Or do I just take route 84 all the way down through Salt Lake City? Is one of these routes more enjoyable/easier? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Nathan

Welcome to RTA!

The fastest way is probably: I-5 to I-405 to I-90 to I-82 to I-84, then I-15 the rest of the way. It's about 1300 miles, so you'll use those 3 days very well.

Since you are going in a few weeks, I recommend this route because we have a number of fires here in California. Besides ... 15 is a lot prettier than 5.

Donna

I agree with Donna that using I-84/I-15 is pretty clearly the easiest option.

Any route that takes you through California is going to add at least 200-300 miles to your trip, and unless you went all the way down to Bakersfield and Barstow before heading back north, a large number up those miles would be on very remote 2 lane roads across Nevada.

4. Default Vancouver - Reno - St. George.

Hey everyone,

I am taking a trip to St. George, Utah from Vancouver. I had some advice to take the I-5 to I-405 to I-90 to I-82 to I-84 (Basically through Oregon/Idaho/Utah).

I was thinking of another route possibly though. Would this make sense? Is it a good drive?

I-5 down to Mt. Shasta. And then take the 89 over to Reno. And then from Reno to St. George. OR I could drive all the way down to Sacramento and then cut over to Reno and then St. George, Utah.

Any thoughts?

Nathan

Thank you!

Moderator Note: Please keep all questions about this trip in the same thread.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-28-2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Merged Threads

Default it's up to you

You need to tell us what you're looking for out of this trip.

The alternate going through Mt. Shasta to Reno adds about 200 miles, most of which is on remote 2 lanes roads - very remote in case of several of the roads across Nevada. It appears you would have time to do such a drive, but it will take you all of the 3 days you have available, and you'll have very little extra time to stop and explore. You'll also have to be very careful to make sure to fill up with gas and to plan your overnight stops carefully - especially between Reno and St. George.

Going all the way down to Sacramento doesn't really make any sense at all to me, but again, I don't know what your reason for considering that might be.

If you were to go through Reno you could come off I5 after Springfield onto OR58/US97 south to Chemult or Klamath Falls and then stop over at Reno via CA39/US395. From Reno you could take US6 through Tonopah and then 375 [The ET Highway] to Crystal Springs and US93 AND 168 to I-15. As Michael said, it's about what you want from the trip and which route appeals to you with the time you have. You could head to Twin Falls on I-84 as mentioned but rather than going to I-15 [if you wanted to get off Interstate] you could drop down on US93 through Wells and Ely

7. Default

Thanks everyone, I was just thinking that maybe Reno would be a good stop on the way down, but I think I will take the following route:

I-5 to I-405 to I-90 to I-82 to I-84 (Basically through Washington State/Oregon/Idaho/Utah).

If I were to take this route which places would you recommend stopping? I was thinking possibly Baker City as the first stop (although that's almost 9 hours from Vancouver. And then Salt Lake City on night two, before heading to St. George the next day. Does anyone have any other recommendations? I'm open to camping as well. And again I am leaving on the morning of September 4th and need to be in St. George the night of September 6th. It's also possible I may leave the night of September 3rd.

Thank you!

If you stop in Baker City, you will have driven just over 500 miles. Hopefully the border crossing won't take too long. Then to Salt Lake City is just about 470 miles, then your last day into St George will be 300 miles. But it will be *hot*.

Unless you just want to get across the border on Saturday evening, I wouldn't leave and drive any length of time after a full day's work. So exhausting!

Donna