Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Los Angeles - Las Vegas

Ok guys, heading over in a couple of weeks and will be driving from LA to Vegas and back again. We would like to take in some of Route 66 and currently finalising the route, but unsure where to come off from the Victorville to Barstow route. Coming back I'm looking at Needles/Amboy/TwentyNine Palms and possibly Palm Springs

Anyone able to advise and suggest anything please

2. Default

Ok think I might have found it. Head to Victorville then turn off for Oro Grande, onto Lenwood then into Barstow. I'm then back on the I-15 to Baker and then turning off onto Kelbaker Road into Kelso and then back up through Morning Star Mine Road to join up with the I-15 again into Vegas. Coming back I'm coming down the 95 into Arrowhead Junction and picking up a piece of Route 66 into Needles down to Amboy, TwentyNine Palms, Palm Springs and ending up at Hermosa Beach.

How does this sound?

Advice: Avoid I-15 in either direction on a Friday or a Sunday. The traffic is horrible.

I-15 is now open, though I understand there are still some lane closures here and there. The devastation from the Blue Cut fire in the Cajon Pass area is very evident from the freeway.

Donna

4. Default

Ok thanks, it would be a Sunday that we drive into Vegas and on Labor Day weekend. Just looking at not sure whether to come off on the I-40 from Barstow and head through Pisgah and Saltus and head north into Kelso and miss out Baker. Time wise it seems to be the same but unsure which is best as a visitor and attraction wise

Default Mojave National Preserve

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, if you want to travel along historic 66, you would follow I-40 from Barstow and go through Bagdad and Amboy. By the way, the Amboy gas station is open -- no fuel -- just snacks -- but the Route 66 Root Beer sold there is tasty. Then you would travel north on the KelBaker road to Kelso. The Visitor Center at Kelso is really well done.

Rather than driving to Baker, I would suggest that you follow Kelso-Cima road to the Cima junction and then Cima Road back to I-15. Much more scenic. If you'd like a little more adventure, stay on the Kelso-Cima road and proceed north on Morning Star Mine Road to the Ivanpah Road and up to NV-164 and then go east to Searchlight and then north of Las Vegas on US-95. It is all paved roads -- just more scenic.

Mark

And the way Mark is sending you will have lots less traffic than I-15!!!!!!

Donna

Default Oatman.

If you are interested in including Rte 66, I suggest that you try to route through Oatman on either journey. It is not only a scenic trip, but very authentic for the time.

Lifey

8. Default

Ok great thanks guys and Mark. Sounds like the route I have planned. Quick check this morning after some tweaking last night and I have

LA - Keenbrook - Cajon Junction, Victorville - Oro Grande - Lenwood - Nebo - Minneola - Newberry Springs - Pisgah - Saltus - Kelso - Kelso Cima Road - Morning Star Mine Road then the I-15. Just need to check the piece about Searchlight.

When you say adventurous on the Mine Road, anything I need to be concerned about?

Default Adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by stuarta View Post
    When you say adventurous on the Mine Road, anything I need to be concerned about?
    Where's your spirit of adventure??? If he were to tell you all of it, it would no longer be an adventure. Why not just take it as it comes.

Lifey

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Where's your spirit of adventure??? If he were to tell you all of it, it would no longer be an adventure. Why not just take it as it comes.

Lifey
    That's cool, just wanted to make sure it's not like the road through Monument Valley and going to trash the hire car ;) Looks like via Searchlight makes an extra half hour but hopefully traffic saving will make it worth it
    Last edited by stuarta; 08-23-2016 at 04:30 AM.