1. Default Best route north from Las Vegas across Nevada

Hi everyone!

I'm planning a trip from Las Vegas to Black Rock City, NV, north of Gerlach, and am trying to figure out the best route. From what I've read, it sounds like 395 is prettier than 95, but I've also been advised to avoid driving an RV in Death Valley, which makes it rather tricky to get to the 395. I'll be going in just a few weeks, so it will be the hottest part of the year. I have to admit that I'm also slightly nervous about driving on 95, as I've heard there are a lot of truck drivers going fast on a two lane road.

Any thoughts would be very welcome! Basically, I'd like to take a route that is the safest and easiest to drive, first and foremost, followed by one that has interesting scenery or places to stop.

Thanks for your help!

Is it your RV, or a rental? If it's yours, it would be up to you to decide whether or not to subject your RV to Death Valley's temperatures. If it's a rental, you have no choice. Most companies will not allow you to bring the RV into DV.

Donna

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Going over to US-395 would be a pretty significant detour, adding 50 miles to a 500 mile trip. Do you hope to do this trip in one day? If so, then I don't think US-395 really is an option.

US-95 is the most straight forward route. I can't speak to the truck traffic, although as the primary N/S route through Nevada, I would expect there to be more than your typical 2 lane road. There would be some other route options through Nevada, but they would see less traffic, and in such remote areas, I think you'd be better off sticking with the well traveled road.

Default Burning Man

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Not surprisingly, you won't find 'Black Rock City' on any maps or in any computer-based mapping routine's data base. The 'city' only exists for one week a year, to house the participants in the Burning Man Festival. To get to Gerlach from Las Vegas, there really aren't that many options, especially if you can't go throu8gh Death Valley. US-95 really is your only other option. You could, I suppose, take US-93 north to NV-375, the Extraterrestrial highway, and then US-6 west, but that just adds 45 miles and puts you back on US-95. Or you could go around Death Valley by taking I-15 south to I-40 west and CA-58 west to Kramer Junction and take US-395 north from there, but that's almost 200 miles out of your way. What's left is the more-or-less straight shot up US-95: Take US-95 north to Fallon, then turn west (left) on US-50. In about nine miles, bear right onto Alt-US-50 and continue to Fernley where it will be duplexed (share the road) with NV-427. Continue on NV-427 north out of Fernley to NV-447 north to Gerlach. From there you can take the following directions taken from Wikipedia: "Head east (right) at the fork in the road north of Gerlach, and exit onto the Black Rock Desert after about 11 miles (signs should be posted)."

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Not surprisingly, you won't find 'Black Rock City' on any maps or in any computer-based mapping routine's data base. The 'city' only exists for one week a year, to house the participants in the Burning Man Festival.
    I guess this shows the power of the festival, or google programmer's fondness for it, but Black Rock City will actually show up on google maps.

You should be aware that if you are concerned about RV restrictions in Death Valley, those same rules also generally apply to Burning Man, where if you have a problem, you're on your own. Additionally, make sure to plan to give the RV a major cleaning after the festival or expect to get hit with significant fees at the end of your trip.

6. Default

Thanks, everyone! We're borrowing the RV from a friend, so there aren't any restrictions on use. But obviously, I don't want to overheat it or push it beyond its limits. It sounds like it might be best to stick to 95, even it is more boring! We're going to take our time on the drive to some degree, stopping at sights when possible, and perhaps spread it over two days. I don't want to do a very intense long day of driving.

The issue with RV's in Death Valley are potentials for heat damage if it's parked in the sun. If you are just driving through, you shouldn't have any issues.

Best way from LV to Death Valley is NV-160 west to Pahrump, then Bell Vista Avenue/Stateline Road west to CA-127, right turn, then immediate left onto CA-190.

If you could set out across Death valley early morning, or early evening, it would be easier on you all and a most enjoyable and scenic journey.

9. Default

Thanks for the advice! That's really good to know. I would only want to drive through Death Valley, in either the evening or morning, then make the journey up 395. So maybe it is till an option after all! That would be much nicer than 95.

So are the roads okay for an RV on NV-160 / C-127 / CA-190? We are both inexperienced driving an RV, so are trying to avoid really curvy, narrow roads.

Those roads are fine for an RV, I have driven them in a 30ft C class with no problems.