1. Default New York City drive to Atlanta GA- fastest route and recommended half way stopover po

What is the fastest driving route from New York City to Atlanta GA and what is a recommended stopover point to sleep?

Default The Simple Answer

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The fastest route is just to take I-78 west to I-81 south into southwestern Virginia. From there take I-77 south to Charlotte NC and finish up on I-85 to Atlanta. Technically (according to my mapping program) it's the same driving time to take a slight detour to avoid Charlotte. That would be to take I-40 west to US-321 south and getting on I-85 west of Charlotte, but I wouldn't do that unless I were arriving in the Charlotte area around rush hour.

A decent stopping point for your overnight (eight hours driving time, closer to ten hours when you include food, fuel and bathroom stops) would be around the Virginia/North Carolina state line. The nearest sizeable town would be Mount Airy NC. Also, stopping in that general area and getting on the road around 9:00 AM the next day would mean you'd be going through Charlotte around 10:30.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thank you !
    Last edited by AZBuck; 08-17-2016 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Removed quote of entire previous post.

Charlotte is no big deal now that the I-485 bypass is done between I-77 and I-85.

5. Default

Looked at maps. plannng to stop near Christiansburg south VA. bit shorter leg from NYC.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The fastest route is just to take I-78 west to I-81 south into southwestern Virginia. From there take I-77 south to Charlotte NC and finish up on I-85 to Atlanta. Technically (according to my mapping program) it's the same driving time to take a slight detour to avoid Charlotte. That would be to take I-40 west to US-321 south and getting on I-85 west of Charlotte, but I wouldn't do that unless I were arriving in the Charlotte area around rush hour.

A decent stopping point for your overnight (eight hours driving time, closer to ten hours when you include food, fuel and bathroom stops) would be around the Virginia/North Carolina state line. The nearest sizeable town would be Mount Airy NC. Also, stopping in that general area and getting on the road around 9:00 AM the next day would mean you'd be going through Charlotte around 10:30.

AZBuck