1. Default Moving to Kansas City,Missouri from Los Angeles,CA

Hi everyone! My family and I will be moving to Kansas City,MO in about 2 weeks.We are also driving there in our car and a trailer hitched to the back.We have never driven anywhere this far and have also never been outside of California besides Utah,so I'm a little nervous about this.Being that we've never experienced something like this,I wanted to know what would be the safest route to go?I will be the only driver,and am quite hesitant about driving through mountains.Please if anyone can give some advice,I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Welcome to RTA!

Normally, I'd recommend I-15 to I-70, but I-70 through Colorado is pretty rough on towing, it reaches an elevation close to 12000 feet. There's no way to avoid mountains altogether, but you can alleviate some of the extremes.

Take I-15 to I-40 to Tucumcari NM. Then take US-54 into Kansas, then US-400 to Wichita. Then take I-35 to KC. Note that I-35 is toll from Wichita to Emporia. Note: There's a speed trap in Goodwell OK - the cop hits you with radar exactly where you hit the 40 mph sign on the way into town and he pulls you for 3 over.

If you would prefer to stay on Interstates, you can stay on I-40 to OKC, then take I-35 the rest of the way. This does add 100 miles.

Welcome to RTA! I am in San Diego, and often make the trip to central MO because we have family there. We've taken a number of different routes to/from MO. There are two "main" interstate routes.

My suggestion, because of towing a trailer, would be to get to I-15, take it north to Barstow (hopefully the fire in Cajon Pass will be out by then!), then get on I-40 east. Take that to Oklahoma City and pick up I-35 north. You'll have to pay a little bit of toll both on the Oklahoma side and then a little on the Kansas side, but it will not be huge. It will be free once you pass Emporia.

This will be a FOUR day trip, no doubt about it. Your first overnight can be somewhere between Kingman and Williams, AZ. The next night, between Grants and Albuquerque, NM. Your next would be around El Reno, OK, and then on in to KC. My husband used this, in reverse, when he brought a U-Haul truck back from mid-Missouri, back in 2011. He was solo at the time.

I am suggesting this route because of the issues of mountains. Taking I-40 brings you to about 7000 ft elevation and the grades aren't very long nor very steep. When we towed a 5th wheel, we preferred the I-40 route going east, to avoid the long grade east of Denver. That other route, which would be I-15 into Utah, then I-70 straight east into KC, gets into elevations of 10,000 ft+. The drop from the mountains west of Denver, into Denver itself, can be intimidating if you are pulling a trailer and don't have much experience with it. It's about a 6% grade most of the way and it's long. No other routes are going to avoid the mountains completely. They're there, and we have to drive through them.

What kind of car are you driving, and what are you towing?

Donna

4. Default

Hello glc! Thanks so much for replying.I appreciate the tip and am glad that there are people still out there who are nice!I will definetely keep this in mind.

Thanks again!!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Welcome to RTA! I am in San Diego, and often make the trip to central MO because we have family there. We've taken a number of different routes to/from MO. There are two "main" interstate routes.

My suggestion, because of towing a trailer, would be to get to I-15, take it north to Barstow (hopefully the fire in Cajon Pass will be out by then!), then get on I-40 east. Take that to Oklahoma City and pick up I-35 north. You'll have to pay a little bit of toll both on the Oklahoma side and then a little on the Kansas side, but it will not be huge. It will be free once you pass Emporia.

This will be a FOUR day trip, no doubt about it. Your first overnight can be somewhere between Kingman and Williams, AZ. The next night, between Grants and Albuquerque, NM. Your next would be around El Reno, OK, and then on in to KC. My husband used this, in reverse, when he brought a U-Haul truck back from mid-Missouri, back in 2011. He was solo at the time.

I am suggesting this route because of the issues of mountains. Taking I-40 brings you to about 7000 ft elevation and the grades aren't very long nor very steep. When we towed a 5th wheel, we preferred the I-40 route going east, to avoid the long grade east of Denver. That other route, which would be I-15 into Utah, then I-70 straight east into KC, gets into elevations of 10,000 ft+. The drop from the mountains west of Denver, into Denver itself, can be intimidating if you are pulling a trailer and don't have much experience with it. It's about a 6% grade most of the way and it's long. No other routes are going to avoid the mountains completely. They're there, and we have to drive through them.

What kind of car are you driving, and what are you towing?

Donna
    Hello Donna!Thanks so much for replying.I will definitely keep this advice.We are going to be driving our 2007 Dodge Nitro with a Uhaul trailer that will be carrying household items.

GLC's cut-off, using US-54 and 400, is only one way to "shun-pike" (go around a toll). Another way is to use US-54 as far as Pratt, turn onto KS-61 and take that all the way up to US-50. Take the 50 straight across to I-35, which at that point becomes regular freeway. This is one that I've done, and my brother does quite a bit as part of his job. Just realize that these are two-lane roads, not complete freeways.

If you choose to shunpike, you could overnight around Pratt, KS in either of the suggested routes.

Donna

To tag onto what I've said before -- if the 15 is still closed over the Pass (and right now, they are not estimating when it will be open) -- you have a number of different ways to get up to the 40 east.

Simplest to explain, with the least mountains, would be to take the 10 east to Blythe, then pick up US-95 north to the 40. Second choice would be to take the 10 east to Quartzsite and pick up AZ-95 through Parker and Lake Havasu City up to the 40, but do not do that at night, and do not do that on a weekend.

Another thought would be I-10 to Phoenix, turn north on the 101 loop towards Black Canyon City, then north on the 17. I don't really recommend that, though, because that 17 has a very long up grade.

I am praying that the Blue Cut fire is contained very soon -- it's only 4% contained at this point and over 18,000 acres (8/17/16 at 7:00 pm PDT). It's not only forced a lot of people to go a lot out of the way to get north of the Cajon Pass, it's closed down the train traffic for the most part, as a very crucial trestle was burned and they can't get to it to assess and repair.

Donna

Another option if I-15 is still closed is I-10 to CA-62 to 29 Palms, then Amboy Road to old 66 to I-40.

Just to clarify, I didn't recommend US-54 and US-400 to avoid tolls, I recommended it to cut off 100 miles. If you are towing, I'd be more inclined to go the extra 100 miles and pay the tolls to avoid the 2 lane roads.