Default Suggested Routes Florida Gulf Coast To Yellowstone

Hi From A Newby On This site! Taking off in a week or so from Panama City to Yellowstone and points west in the Papa Don-A-Mobile (2010 Fleetwwod Pulse 24D RV). Flying solo with no time constraints. Not overly fond of Interstates, but it is a pretty long trip. Thinking of taking the Natchez Trace to start with, but once it ends looking for recommendations on routing.

All suggestions welcomed! I was a corporate pilot for forty years, so lots of 'road trips' in rental cars, but now if I find someplace I really like, I can just stop and enjoy! Like to kayak, bike and hike and will have all that equipment with me. Little fishing too.

Papa Don

Welcome to RTA!

When do you plan to arrive in Yellowstone? The reason I ask....once Labor Day weekend goes by, Yellowstone begins to shut down, little by little. Some campgrounds will be closing Sept. 5th, Fishing Bridge RV waits until Sept. 18th. Beyond that, Mammoth CG is the only one open all year, and Tower Falls CG is open through Sept. 26th.Open and closing of facilities listing can be found here.

Donna

Default That's a Definite Cross-Wind Runway

I don't really think that the Natchez Trace is going to work for you since its alignment (roughly southwest-northeast) is 90º off your 'flight path' (roughly southeast-northwest). There are, however, several other scenic routes that are worth exploring as you continue to plan your final route. Among these are parts of the Great River Road, US-30 along the Platte River in Nebraska which follows the route of the old Oregon Trail, Loess Hills Scenic Byway, the Beartooth Highway, the Rockefeller Memorial Parkway, the Dinosaur Diamond Prehistoric Highway, the Santa Fe Trail, what's left of old Route 66, and the Talimena Scenic Drive.

Beyond that, your schedule is so wide open that it's tough to give specific hints as to where to find scenery, fishing, kayaking, biking or hiking in the Mountain West. The only honest answer is "practically everywhere" until you get your itinerary solidified a bit.

AZBuck

Thanks for that information Donna! Surprised so much closes early September. Would rather deal with a lot of closed attractions than deal with the crowds!

It closes up in September because most of Yellowstone is above 5000' elevation. The higher the mountains, the more snow. Dunraven Pass, the link that closes the "figure 8" of the park's Grand Loop, closes in mid-September.

Old Faithful and the other thermal features will still be open, as long as the roads to get there are open. It's the services and roads that start to close.

Donna

Default Elevated winters.

There's a chance that the Beartooth Highway will be closed as well. These things are worth checking up on, a few days before you get there.

Another attraction you may like to check out is the 1959 Earthquake Area, just north west of West Yellowstone on US-287 - the details of the self drive tour through that area are at the West Yellowstone Visitor Centre.. While in the Area, don't overlook the Tetons and Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area.

Do you actually have good maps? You will see that all maps have the scenic routes highlighted. As well, State issued maps have the State scenic routes highlighted. These are often not on nationally issued maps.

Lifey

Dunraven Pass and Beartooth are slated to close on the same day. They must have changed them. The closing date read Sept. 18th for awhile, usually it IS in mid-September, but now it's October 11th, with all other roads except northern entrance at Gardiner, closed Nov. 7th.

Donna

Default All depends on the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Dunraven Pass and Beartooth are slated to close on the same day.
    No one really knows when passes close, it all depends on the weather. There are cases such as in CA where they close and open on dates which suits their budget best. But I have driven the Beartooth in the last week of May, when it was stated not to open till after Memorial Day.

When discussing this with a ranger later, I was told that the roads open when they are clear, and close when they are not safe. That time I drove the Beartooth, it was closed again two days later by a storm.

When it comes to these high elevation roads and passes the best thing to do is check a day or two, or three beforehand.

Lifey

I was in Yellowstone a few years ago in the first week of October, and all roads including the Beartooth were still open. This is not always the case.