1. Default Road trip to Flagstaff,Az from VA

Need the best route to take to the Grand Canyon From VA. Stopping at some sight along the way. Time is no issue. Leaving Oct.3, 2016

2. Default Need help with road trip plan to FlagstaffAZ from Dinwiddie,VA. Leaving October 3, 20

My husband and are planning our first ever long road trip. Both in our 60's. Going to Flagstaff,AZ from DinwiddieVA. We need an easy route with some sights and attractions to see on our way. Time is no issue. We have to stop and smell the roses. We will be driving our own vehicle. Hotels are a must.

Tucson, AZ

Default Hardest Choice is at the Start

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you're looking for "an easy route with some sights and attractions to see", then your obvious choice is to get yourselves on I-40 and take that all the way to Flagstaff. There are two ways to get to I-40 from Dinwiddie, the first would be to head essentially straight west on US-460 to Roanoke and use I-481 to get on I-81 south to I-40. The other is a little bit longer (about 30 miles), and involves more urban driving, but is essentially all Interstate. That would be to take I-85 south to Durham NC where it joins I-40 directly. The two routes would be essentially equal in driving time, so just pick the type of driving that you're most comfortable with.

Once on I-40, there are a number of larger attractions that might command a bit of your time such as Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Nashville, Memphis, the Oklahoma City Memorial, Cadillac Ranch outside Amarillo, Petroglyph National Monument in Albuquerque, and Petrified Forest National Park. Of course there are also many smaller, lesser-known venues that make good places to stop and just take a break during the day's drive. And in the Flagstaff area there are plenty of sites worth visiting besides the Grand Canyon including Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monuments, Lowell Observatory, the Museum of Northern Arizona, Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, and the longest remaining stretch of old Route 66 between Seligman and Kingman through Peach Springs west of Flag.

As far as where to spend your nights, that will depend on what sort of pace you'd be comfortable keeping, which places you decide to visit on each leg (east and west bound) and how long you would like to spend at each one. With no major stops, and following a steady pace of 550 miles per day, your overnight stops would be roughly Nashville, Shawnee OK (just east of Oklahoma City), and Albuquerque. If, as you say, time is not a factor, you can certainly take more than four days to get to Flagstaff and adjust your overnight stops accordingly. You can even pick entirely different stops going out west and then returning home. Even whether or not to make reservations or just see where you want to stop each night is not a foregone conclusion, many people will argue for either side of that discussion. In the end it matters what you are more comfortable with.