Default RV trip on CA 395 North - suggestions for things to see, places to stay

Greetings fellow travelers!

Hubby and I are planning a several week road trip in our RV (with toad). We leave Sept. 7 from our home in southeastern AZ. We plan to travel north on Highway 395, from Kramer Junction (on CA 58) all the way to Susanville CA. Our final destination is Redding CA.

We are trying to plot out our overnights and our driving times. We don't want to drive more than 4-5 hours in one day (250-300 miles), and we plan to spend 2 nights in some locations.

Tentative overnights so far:
    Lake Havasu, AZ
    Trona Pinnacles BLM camping area near Ridgecrest CA
    Lone Pine CA
    Carson City NV area

Has anyone had experience driving/staying along 395 in an RV? Any suggestions for attractions to visit along this route?

Also, any info on road conditions. It's been 30 years since we traveled 395 and I remember it being in decent shape most of the way.

Any suggestions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Eileen in AZ

This current thread may give you some ideas.

Note that if you go to Bodie, the last 3 miles is unpaved. Also, I-580 is replacing US-395 between Carson City and I-80.

Default Some thoughts.

US395 is in good shape and should offer no problems for you. If you don't mind 'Boon docking' check out the Alabama hills just west of Lone Pine, an amazing place to spend a night.

Alabama hills.

You don't say how much time you have for your journey, but you could explore Mammoth Lakes and the June Lake loop road. There is Mono Lake and Lake Tahoe as well. Camp Richardson near South Lake Tahoe is quite nice and has a nice restaurant at the beach, but the RV park is a few hundred yards away on the other side of the road. Have you thought of visiting Lassen Volcanic NP ? A lovely park with a nice campground at Manzanita Lake and not much further up the road is McArthur- Burney Falls SP. It's a bit out of your way but a nice detour if time isn't an issue.

Hello Dave,

Thank you so much for replying to my post! We LOVE the Alabama Hills! Hubby enjoys seeing them in many of the old westerns on TV. I didn't know there was camping there. We are looking into an RV park in Lone Pine so we can drive up the Portal Road and see the Hills as well, but I will look into dry camping there as an alternative. It's been probably 20+ years since we visited that area.

We are quite familiar with Mono Lake, Bodie, June Lake, Tahoe. Hubby is a Bay Area CA native and I lived there most of my adult life. We traveled over the mountains many times to enjoy the Tahoe/Owens Valley/Yosemite areas. We will probably have to leave Tahoe for another time as we want to stay pretty much on 395 going north.

We've also been to Lassen, Burney Falls, etc. - but it has been many years. We hope to stop at some of these places after leaving Susanville. We are heading for hubby's sister's home in Redding where we can do some day trips. We will spend a few days there before heading south again - probably along a combo of I-5 and 101.

Have you ever boondocked at Trona Pinnacles? I've wanted to see that are for years and we're planning 2 nights in the BLM area on our way north.

Thanks again for the great suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    This current thread may give you some ideas.

Note that if you go to Bodie, the last 3 miles is unpaved. Also, I-580 is replacing US-395 between Carson City and I-80.
    glc - thank for that info! We probabaly won't do Bodie this trip...been there a few times years ago. I love it - so many photo ops!

I didn't know about the I-580 changes. I know when were last in that area, there was still a lot of construction going on. Thanks for the heads-up!

Just east of Lone Pine is the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, within Inyo National Forest. Located at about 10,000 ft elevation, this grove has some of the oldest living trees in the world to see. Click here for more information.

Within Inyo National Forest, about 5 miles from the Visitor Center, is Grandview Campground. It's at 8600 ft elevation, has vault toilets (BYOTP, they may be out), and it's a dry campground so bring plenty of water. It's under-used except on three day weekends.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Just east of Lone Pine is the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, within Inyo National Forest. Located at about 10,000 ft elevation, this grove has some of the oldest living trees in the world to see. Click here for more information.

Within Inyo National Forest, about 5 miles from the Visitor Center, is Grandview Campground. It's at 8600 ft elevation, has vault toilets (BYOTP, they may be out), and it's a dry campground so bring plenty of water. It's under-used except on three day weekends.

Donna
    Thank you Donna! I believe we visited the bristlecone forest many years ago, but it might be worth a trip out there anyway.

Not too sure about the campground - the info states the road is steep and narrow, and we are towing a little car behind our RV. We may just take a drive out that way to check it out for a future visit. Thanks again!

Eileen in AZ