1. Default Lake Tahoe adventure :)

Hey there! My boyfriend and I are planning on hitting the road from Los Angeles to Lake Tahoe in mid August. We are leaving at 4 am and hope to get there before the late afternoon, on a weekday. With that said, we wanna stop off where we can and see sights worth seeing. We like hot springs, waterfalls, abandoned places, lakes, rivers, beautiful views, cool signs, old cars, haunted places...we like it all! We would like our stops to be no more than an hour long, preferably shorter. We are open to any route and just wanna hear what you are all into! Thanks so much, excited for our adventure and your input!

Joplin MO

Welcome to RTA!

You are going to have to pick and choose carefully if you want to make this drive in one day, but I'd recommend you take US-395. Depending on where in LA you are leaving from, you can get to it from CA-14 or I-15.

There are scenic loops you can take through Mammoth Lakes (CA-203) and June Lake (CA-158). At Lee Vining, you can turn left on CA-120 and then another left into the Mobil gas station. The Whoa Nellie Deli in the gas station would be a great place to eat lunch, they actually have gourmet food. If you go up the hill from the gas station, there's a lookout where you can get a panoramic view of Mono Lake.

Too bad you don't have an extra day to play with or you could go to Bodie.

To get to Tahoe from the 395, I'd recommend you take CA-89 over Monitor Pass and Luther Pass to US-50.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

Abandoned place: Manzanita National Historic Site, between Lone Pine and Independence along US-395 - site of one of the Japanese internment camp during WWII.

Hot springs: Click here for information on quite a few hot springs that are on the eastern side of the Sierras.

Lakes: Mono Lake.

Do you have a map or atlas? If not, get one at a big box store, or if you're a AAA member, you can pick up a map free as part of the perks of membership. A lot of this kind of stuff is mentioned on a paper map, but not easy to find on an electronic mapping program.

No doubt about it, US-395 is a beautiful drive. If you had another day, the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, with some of the oldest trees in the world, is an interesting stop as well. It's just east of Lone Pine and Bishop, but it's UP in elevation -- 10,000 ft.