First, I'd like to thank you for this site. The Map Wizard gave me lots of advice, and reading the forum become my newest procrastination method!
We're Brazilians which happen to live in Medellin. However, we are (finally) taking our honeymoon in November. Plan currently is:
- Fly from Medellin to Seattle, arriving by 9 pm on Nov 19. Pick the car (begging for a Volvo V60), go to the hotel
- Spend until Wed on the Hotel, while attending small meetings/events and unboxing the Prime Packages (to the Hotel or perhaps spooled in US Global Mail) and gearing up with the equipment
- On Wed onwards, drive until Medford/Oregon
- Thursday, go to Oakland or a nearby city (Mountain View and/or San Jose)
- Friday resting off
- Saturday drive from San Jose to Anaheim
- Sunday drive from Anaheim to Las Vegas, return the car
- Attend AWS re:Invent until Friday, return on Saturday to Medellin
Fixed points: the hotels from Las Vegas and Seattle are booked. In between, almost everything is flexible and I've planned for plan B (cancelling california) and C (returning the car earlier on another point and reaching by train)
My concern is about handling the weather. In yuor experience, would it require tricky driving knowledge (remember I'm actually from Amazon - The rainforest in this case)
I've got some experience in roadtrips, but never lasting more than 8/12 hours tops and spanning multiple days. In order to get ready and rehearse the equipment, I intend to do with a friend a small trip from Medellin to perhaps Cartagena / Bogota in order to test all the gear, specially the gpses, chargers and dashcams.
There's little room for sightseeing, but I'm not really a nature guy. However, I've got a penchant for Aerospace and Technology Museums, so Evergreen and/or the Computer Museum could be considered. I've already bought the Atlases and Guides (Natgeo / Michelin / Randy Macnally) so I'll looking into it, as well as looking after an AAA Membership.
Bring me your questions - I need to figure out how covered is my plan please :)