1. Default Road trip from North carolina to Maine

My husband and I are going on a roadtrip in October for 10 or 11 days. 2 days will be spent in Brooklyn, but would love some suggestions on a good route to take and any suggestions on sites to see. We may even venture into Vermont

Default Basic Timing and Routes

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Depending on where, exactly, you're starting from in North Carolina, getting to Brooklyn could require more than a single day. You really shouldn't try to drive much more than about 550 miles in a day under normal circumstances, and driving up the I-95 corridor is not 'normal'. It is one of the most congested highways in North America. It will slow you down and sap your energy so that when you need to be at your most alert and responsive, driving into New York City, you will be fatigued at best and completely drained at worst. If you are starting from anywhere south or west of Charlotte, plan on making an overnight stop. That could present an opportunity to explore somewhere in between home and Brooklyn a bit if you pick your overnight stop wisely.

You should also plan on taking a route that skirts well around New York City on your New England to North Carolina leg. That's relatively easy to do if you first head for Newburgh NY and then use I-84 to I-81 and on into wherever in North Carolina is home. This will also be a two day drive, but both days will have to be devoted pretty much to driving.

As for what to do in New England, have a read through these discussions to get a good overview of what's available to you.

AZBuck

I can't add much to what AZBuck suggested. However, somebody should change that username as they are likely to get hit with a lot of spam. Not a great idea to use your email address as your username!

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by lanzillofam@att.net View Post
    My husband and I are going on a roadtrip in October for 10 or 11 days. 2 days will be spent in Brooklyn, but would love some suggestions on a good route to take and any suggestions on sites to see. We may even venture into Vermont
    Interesting. My wife and I are going from Maine to South Carolina/North Carolina in October for a couple of weeks. Maine is a big state. In the Portland area there is the Old Port with lodging, great dining and boat trips. Across the harbor is Cape Elizabeth and Portland Head Light lighthouse in Fort Williams Park. The Bug Light area in next door South Portland is another beautiful coastal spot. Up the coast Boothbay Harbor is a nice coastal town. Of course Bar Harbor has Acadia NP. If you are looking for lakes try the western mountains and the Rangeley Lakes. I find Trip Advisor is full of ideas and good feed back. I would be glad to answer more specific questions. Happy travels.