1. Default Orlando to Orlando via Nashville

Hi I am looking for advice on my first American road trip from Orlando to Nashville and back.The only two must haves on the trip are to visit Montgomery al and meridian ms.I would like to finish of with five days on the east coast of Florida maybe St Augustine to unwind no dates have been set but were thinkin late June into early July 17 any advice on routes or anything you can think of would be greatly appreciated.oh nearly forgot we arrive on a Friday around three and depart 21 days later for home ( Scotland)

Tucson, AZ

Default It All Works In Your Favor

Ceud měle fŕilte! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There's one really nice thing about all the points on your itinerary - connecting them makes for a very nice circuit that swings well around Atlanta, which has some of the worst traffic in the South. Instead of driving through that metropolitan area (unless you want to) you should be able to enjoy some rural roads, historic sites and scenic national parks before returning to Orlando(?) for your flight home. Since you'll have plenty of time for the circuit, what I'd suggest is that you use some of the older US/Federal highway system rather than the Interstates (motorways) For example, from Orlando US-441/US-27/US-19 through Ocala and Perry offer an alternative to I-75/I-10 northwest out of Florida to Bainbridge GA and US-84 to Dothan AL, followed by US-231 to Montgomery. The beauty of the Federal system in the South is that many of those roads are four-lane divided highways which offer a nice compromise between speed and the ability to see some of the country side you'll be driving through as well as the opportunity to drive through some of the smaller towns. From Montgomery it's a straight shot west on US-80 to Meridien MS.

Now with those destinations crossed off your list, you can relax a bit more on your way up to Nashville. Head out of Meridien on US-45 north to Tupelo and get on the Natchez Trace Parkway which will take you the rest of the way. Then from Nashville head east on US-70 to Knoxville and then US-441 over the Appalachians through Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Next, change things up a bit and use US-23/I-40/I-26 to head through Columbia SC to Congaree National Park and on to Charleston SC. Finally, US-17 will serve as a coastal route down to St. Augustine past Cumberland Island National Seashore.

If you have specific interests that are not addressed above just let us know and we'll see what we can do to point you to locations or activities that fit your bill.