Thread: Nashville to LA

1. Default Nashville to LA

Hi everyone ,
    So we are starting to plan a trip for September 2017 , and I realise it's early but we want to get it right so we are starting now .
    We are from nz and we will be traveling with our almost 2 year old and will probibly just hire a normal vehicle .
    The plan is to have 3 weeks to go from Nashville to LA and the stops along the way we were planning on being :
    -Ft smith , Arkansas
    - Oklahoma City
    - Dallas
    - Amarillo
    - Albuquerque
    - Durango
    - flagstaff
    - Vegas
    We want to do driving one day and then not driving for 2-3 days .
    Will this be doable or are we trying to do to much ?

Thanks for your help ,

Melbourne, Australia

Default Definitely doable.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

I have not worked out the exact mileage, but from just a cursory glance at the maps, your plan is certainly doable. You may like to check out some of the more scenic highways, and small town which would be along your route, as well as some of the great places of nature - e.g. the Grand Canyon.

If you can get some maps locally, I highly recommend that you do to help you plan this trip They will show you all the routes and the attractions along the way, from which you can choose.

If maps are not available locally, I suggest that you purchase a Rand McNally road atlas from the RTA shop, via the link at the bottom of this page. If you order it now, you will have it in a couple of weeks.

One thing you may like to do is to bring your NZ automobile club membership with you. It will give you access to tourism information from the AAA anywhere in the country.

Tucson, AZ

Default Well Within Reason

Nau mai! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You could fairly easily make the drive from Nashville to Los Angeles in four days so even if you only drove every third day, you'd still only need twelve days or so for the transit. So 21 days leave you plenty of time.

I'd say your first order of business is to pick five or six places/areas in between those two cities that you'd like to explore in some depth. I'd suggest that you consider including some of the following:

The Nashville area Get over any jet lag, check out the northern reaches of the Natchez Trace Parkway, a Civil War battle site or two, then set off in earnest

Southwestern Arkansas Hot Springs National Park (NP), Crater of Diamonds, Talimena Scenic Byway

Oklahoma City OR Dallas Unless there's a good reason to include both, doing so only represents about 400 miles of 'spinning your wheels' while driving north-south on what is otherwise an east-west trip.

Albuquerque/Santa Fe Balloons, ancient pueblos, Petroglyph National Monument (NM), the Turquoise Trail

Flagstaff AZ The Grand Canyon, Wupatki, Sunset Crater Volcano and Walnut Canyon NMs, Lowell Observatory

And, of course, you'll have your own places that you'll want to check out (many of which are covered above) and there are places in between such as Petrified Forest NP that you'll want to stop at even on 'driving' days. Indeed, with a toddler, you should plan on stopping every few hours when driving so that (s)he gets some fresh air and exercise each day.