1. Default San Fransisco to Phoenix 6 day trip

We fly into San Fransisco from The Netherlands end of August and have 6 full days to get to Phoenix for a wedding. What would be the best route to take, via the coast highway 1 or more northern to have the best sites to see on the way? All advice on route and things to see welcome!

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

What's the best route for YOU? That would be the question I would ask, as what's right for one is not right for another one. What types of things are you looking to see?

By the most direct routing, it's about a 2-day drive from the Bay Area to Phoenix. If you were to head down PCH (CA-1), it would be 2 days to Los Angeles and then another day over to Phoenix.

However, inland California may interest you with Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP's, maybe a look-see at the Grand Canyon -- before Phoenix.

South of England.

Default Six of the best.

Whatever you decide, it's going to be a great 6 day road trip ! As Donna mentioned, there is no generic best, just a lot of great choices and it will also depend on how much time you want to spend driving and how much hanging out in any one place. For the best of both worlds I would perhaps drive down the coast around Big Sur and stop around Cambria for a night before heading inland back in a Northeast direction into Yosemite NP, spending much of the following day there. You could then head across the mountains on Tioga Pass [CA120] to US395 and across Death valley NP to Las Vegas. From Vegas head to the south rim of the Grand canyon with a possible stop at the Hoover dam and a drive on old route 66 from Kingman through Seligman. From the GC head south to Phoenix via Sedona and Oak Creek. That's me though, I would recommend you look at your options and once you have decided what appeals we could help you to 'fine tune' your trip and suggest some 'tweaks'.

4. Default

Thanks this was really very helpful! Getting the best of both worlds both the coast and then Northeast sounds great!

With that in mind my Draft version on the Road Trip would be:

Friday 26th August
    SFO to see the city.

Saturday 27th (4 hr drive)
    SFO-Cambria direction
    Stop along the way Big Sur stay in Cambria area

Sunday 28th - Monday 29th (5 ½ drive two days to stay in Yosemite full day. Might start Monday late on Toga Pass Road)

Tuesday (Early morning) 30th (5 ½ hr drive to Seligman. Going through Death Valley). Assume stay in Seligman area.
    Yosemite – Toga Pass Road - Panamint Springs (190) – Hoover Dam – Kingsman (66) – Seligman

Wed 31st (Early morning) 4 hrs drive
    Seligman – Grand Canyon South Rim Village

Thursday ( Leave in the afternoon 3 ½ hr drive)
    Grand Canyon south Rim Village – Phoenix
    (Arrive Phoenix around 5pm-6pm)

Phoenix- Prescott Arizona (Wedding day)

Southern California

You might want to add some time to those driving times. It sounds like you got them from an electronic mapping program. Those don't take into consideration any type of slow downs for construction or accidents, or stops for food-fuel-bathroom. For instance, Grand Canyon to Phoenix is about a 4-5 hour trip, depending a lot on when you hit Phoenix. Same with SFO to Cambria. If you want to stop at the scenic points, etc., it is going to take you longer than 4 hours.

Also, have a Plan B in mind, in case Tioga Pass Rd is unexpectedly closed. It has happened before. Probably won't, but keep an alternative in mind just in case.

6. Default

Thanks Donna... I agree that doing both Coast and Northern California might be too much in the time we have... will stay on the Northern California one: Starting Saturday and Ending Thursday (late afternoon in Phoenix)... SFO-Yosemite (include full day)-Tioga Pass-Death Valley-Hoover Dam-Route 66 (Kingsman-Selisman)-Grand Canyon (plan day stay)-Phoenix. I think this route can be spread over the 6 days with time for drive and pleasure.. I will be breaking this up per day next. Thanks for the reality check!