Default Southeast Sept/Oct 2016

Hello everyone. I live in South East Texas and am planning to take my first 'solo' road trip in Sept or Oct 2016. I will have just 9 days from start to finish. I have had a few major changes take place in my life over the past 14 months and need to clear my head. I took a trip in May and my father accompanied me. Even though the trip was great and I loved spending time with my dad, the head clearing did not happen.
    I was hoping someone could give me some ideas on a few great "Head Clearing" spots in GA, TN, NC...that area of the country.
    Any and all advise and ideas will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Melissa
    54, Houston TX

Welcome to RTA!

Everyone is different of course, but the best way for ME to clear my head is to spend some time in the great outdoors, away from a lot of extra people, time to just sit and gaze at the beauty of nature. Or take a hike, a mile or so back into the forests. Or, sit along a lake or river and just watch the water -- very calming, to me.

That said, the first thing that comes to mind for "GA, TN, NC" is Great Smoky Mountain National Park, in southern Tennessee.

So what I'd do, if I were you, is grab an atlas or a paper map of the Eastern portion of the US. Start flagging things you see in those states, and the ones along the way from where you live, and you may come up with well over 9 days of sightseeing and head-clearing.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

Everyone is different of course, but the best way for ME to clear my head is to spend some time in the great outdoors, away from a lot of extra people, time to just sit and gaze at the beauty of nature. Or take a hike, a mile or so back into the forests. Or, sit along a lake or river and just watch the water -- very calming, to me.

That said, the first thing that comes to mind for "GA, TN, NC" is Great Smoky Mountain National Park, in southern Tennessee.

So what I'd do, if I were you, is grab an atlas or a paper map of the Eastern portion of the US. Start flagging things you see in those states, and the ones along the way from where you live, and you may come up with well over 9 days of sightseeing and head-clearing.

Donna
    Thank you Donna.

Default Mix It Up

I agree with Donna that Great Smoky Mountains National Park would make a great destination for your mind-clearing RoadTrip. It's probably just as important that the entire trip offer a mix of great drives (scenic and little traffic) and restful stops along the way. To that end, let me offer a few suggestions for routes and stops along the way to the Smokies and back.

You could start by just following the coast, using the Creole Nature Trail through southwestern Louisiana, to the Mississippi portion of Gulf Islands National Seashore. From there you could work your way up through Alabama to the Selma area and one of my favorite 'hidden gems' in the region: Old Cahawba, the old capital of the state, a current archaeological site, and as restful a spot as you can imagine. Next take a drive up the Talladega Scenic Drive through Talladega National Forest before skirting well around Atlanta on US-27/US-411/US-76/US-129/US-441 to the eastern side of Great Smoky Mountain NP.

When you emerge on the western side of the mountains, head for the Nashville area and hop on the Natchez Trace Parkway for a great restful drive home. If you're interested, you can stop in Tupelo MS and visit Elvis' Birthplace, in some of the interpretive centers along the Parkway (It's an historic old road.), and/or take a tour of some of Natchez' antebellum homes. That will leave you within an easy day's drive of home.

All-in-all such an itinerary will leave you with a roughly 50/50 mix of driving and relaxing, let you skirt most major traffic headaches (e.g. Atlanta), and other than paying attention to your driving just let you turn your mind off.

AZBuck

Default Been there, done that!

Let me add my tuppence worrth.

Wherever you are - be there! No letting your mind wander to the past or future, or whatever. Just be where you are.

Don't compare places, but appreciate each one for what it has to offer.

Most of all, carry a journal and jot down your thoughts of the moment.

One thing you are likely to find along the way is just who Melissa is. I was only a little older than you when I made my first solo roadtrip - a decade and a half ago. It was life changing.

Lifey

Hi everyone. Thank you for your responses. I'm in Great Need of some Me time. I've been to Smoky Mountains many times both as a child and as an adult but never just me. I do love that area but am just a little leary of doing good it alone.