1. Default Driving from Central Kentucky to Coeur D'Alene

I'm pretty new to these extensive road trips, having only done a 700-mile stretch from here to Kansas City.

Anyway, I'm just curious what the best route would be and what my itinerary should look like. Google Maps has me taking I-64 through STL and hopping on I-70 through to KC.. taking I-29 to Sioux Falls, then I-90 all the way to CDA.

I think I prefer taking I-65 north through Indianapolis and then taking I-74 through Illinois, going through Iowa and Minnesota, then getting on the I-90 that way, simply because I have driven through STL enough times and it is always a mess.

Has anyone made a similar trip that might be able to help me out here? I will likely be moving to CDA within a few months, just wanted to see if it is more feasible to drive it or fly there and have things shipped.

Thanks!

2. Default

I guess it's worth mentioning I would like to do this trip in three days, if at all possible.

I was thinking something like.. Day 1 stop in Kansas City or Cedar Rapids (depending on if I take I-64 or 65 out of louisville)

Day 2: Rapid City, SD

Day 3: Arrive in CDA

Default Not in Three Days

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The specific routing for your trip will depend a bit on exactly where "here" (as in "having only done a 700-mile stretch from here to Kansas City") is, but from just about anywhere in 'central Kentucky', and by just about any route you're looking at over 2000 miles to Coeur d'Alene. That's easily four days at a comfortable 500-550 miles per day. It's longer than three days even if you were to drive the maximum number of hours allowed to professional long-haul drivers. Those limits are imposed on them as part of their licensing. The fact that you are not subjected to the same restrictions has everything to do that no one expects the average rookie driver to attempt such distances and absolutely nothing to do with your immunity to the fatigue and highway hypnosis that affects professionals after about ten hours/600 miles. You need to plan on four days for this drive if you want to complete it safely.

Now, as to routing, I'd probably try to miss both Indianapolis and St. Louis using the Natcher Parkway, Audobon Parkway, and US-41 (again, it's hard to say exactly since I don't know where you're starting from) to southwestern Indiana and then use N-63 to connect to I-74 and the Quad Cities. Next up would be I-80 to Iowa City, I-380 to Waterloo, US-218/US-18 to Clear Lake, and I-35 north to I-90 near Austin MN. Overnight stops would be roughly in the Quad Cities area, Chamberlain SD, and Billings MT.

AZBuck

Default Multi day trips are a different animal.

I'm pretty new to these extensive road trips, having only done a 700-mile stretch from here to Kansas City.
    To add to what Buck has said, doing one 700 mile day is totally different to doing 3 or 4 x 700 mile days back to back. After the first session fatigue would have already started to set in and would affect your alertness and reaction times, the next day that will set in earlier during the trip and so on and son until you are plain worn out and a danger to yourself and others on the road. So think of this as a marathon and not a sprint and work with 500-550 miles per day as Buck suggested. You will have a far more enjoyable and safe journey.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The specific routing for your trip will depend a bit on exactly where "here" (as in "having only done a 700-mile stretch from here to Kansas City") is, but from just about anywhere in 'central Kentucky', and by just about any route you're looking at over 2000 miles to Coeur d'Alene. That's easily four days at a comfortable 500-550 miles per day. It's longer than three days even if you were to drive the maximum number of hours allowed to professional long-haul drivers. Those limits are imposed on them as part of their licensing. The fact that you are not subjected to the same restrictions has everything to do that no one expects the average rookie driver to attempt such distances and absolutely nothing to do with your immunity to the fatigue and highway hypnosis that affects professionals after about ten hours/600 miles. You need to plan on four days for this drive if you want to complete it safely.

Now, as to routing, I'd probably try to miss both Indianapolis and St. Louis using the Natcher Parkway, Audobon Parkway, and US-41 (again, it's hard to say exactly since I don't know where you're starting from) to southwestern Indiana and then use N-63 to connect to I-74 and the Quad Cities. Next up would be I-80 to Iowa City, I-380 to Waterloo, US-218/US-18 to Clear Lake, and I-35 north to I-90 near Austin MN. Overnight stops would be roughly in the Quad Cities area, Chamberlain SD, and Billings MT.

AZBuck
    Danville, KY. I drove to Olathe, KS and back a few times. It was not easy, especially coming back, because you are moving forward in time. I suppose trying to keep it at 8 hours a day is reasonable. I would like to avoid large metro areas if I can.

500-550 miles is going to be around 9-10 hours, which is reasonable. It allows for you to get out of the car every couple of hours for a good stretching walk, get fuel for your vehicle, food for your body, make a restroom visit, etc.

As has been said, doing one 700 mile run like that is a whole lot different than trying to do it three days in a row.

Donna

After a recent RT west, I have to say that I-74 and I-80 (in Illinois and Iowa, at least) are two of my least favorite interstates due to the level of truck traffic and road noise, and/or road maintenance. I-90 was like peace on earth after I-80, so I would suggest targeting it as your cross-country corridor as soon as possible. The I-29 stretch between Omaha and Sioux Falls was also an easy drive.

I-70 and St. Louis via the "upper beltway" (I-270) has not been a problem for me (non-rush hour).

I-70 and St. Louis via the "upper beltway" (I-270) has not been a problem for me (non-rush hour).
    I've driven St Louis on many occasions, and never have found it a problem either. If you come upon it at rush hour, use that as an excuse to stop for breakfast or dinner, and use the following: (Westbound) I-70 to I-270 upper beltway to MO-370, which will drop you off at I-70 again. (Eastbound), use MO-370 to I-270 to I-70. You have to watch the signs carefully.

We've never had issues with Kansas City, either, because we'd stop for breakfast to wait out the end of a rush hour if needed. When we needed to head north on I-29, we used I-435 (eastern beltway) to get to it. You can use I-435 (western beltway) to transit between I-29 and I-70 on the Kansas side, too.

I-80 attracts a lot of truckers because the grades aren't as heavy as they are on I-70 west of Denver. But it is definitely our least favorite interstate ever -- in IA and NE.

Donna