1. Default Request: Southwest itinerary trip sanity check!

Hope to get an experienced RV'ers sanity check on our itinerary, please. I polled the wife and kids, (kid's early 20's) and they would rather do a rambling "sampler" trip rather than a slower, stay in a couple of locations trip. We're renting a 25 ft RV, leaving Las Vegas mid September. Planned: 1st night, Zion Park, 2nd and 3rd night, North rim of Grand Canyon, 4th night Durango, 5th & 6th, Taos, 7th, Santa Fa, 8th, Flagstaff (yup, thee major grinder), and then back to Vegas, with one day in the pocket. This seems a bit ambitious to me, but my uncle said it's definitely a long road trip, but do-able. Other ideas or camping place advise welcome... Thanks!

Default To each his own.

Hi Index, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

It is a dilemma many face, when different members of the party desire different travel styles. It really is not something which is right or wrong, it is a personal decision. I know that many like to stop for few days and then move on again. For me, as a solo traveller, I stop and linger when I come to some place I really take a liking to. Otherwise I move on. It also means that I never book anything, but it really does not matter, as mine is a small camper.

Your itinerary so far looks to me that it has a balance of both. Hope you can please all the family members.

Lifey

3. Default Need opinion on my itinerary time for Southwest RV road trip.

I may have inadvertently deleted my original request, (don't know how to ascertain that), so if you find this is a duplication, my apologies... Hope to get an experienced RV'ers sanity check on our itinerary, and mainly if the time frame is realistic, please. I polled the wife and kids, (kid's early 20's) and they would rather do a rambling "sampler" trip rather than a slower, stay in a couple of locations trip. We're renting a 25 ft RV, leaving Las Vegas mid September. Planned: 1st night, Zion Park, 2nd and 3rd night, North rim of Grand Canyon, 4th night Durango, 5th & 6th, Taos, 7th, Santa Fa, 8th, Flagstaff (yup, thee major grinder), and then back to Vegas, with one day in the pocket. This seems a bit ambitious to me, but my uncle said it's definitely a long road trip, but do-able. Other ideas or camping place advise welcome... Thanks!

Nope, it's still right where you left it! - Mod

Your trip is certainly doable without being over rushed and if it hits the spots you want to see then that's good ! Is there a reason for wanting to spend 2 nights in Taos ? Heading from the North rim to Durango won't leave a lot of time for sightseeing and between the two you have the likes of Monument valley, Four corners monument [bit of a tourist trap but it's the only place you can put each of your limbs in a different state at the same time] and Mesa Verde NP. The latter takes a bit of time to visit as to get close to the remains you need to take a guided tour but it's certainly worth consideration.

Note. To locate your thread again just click on your user name and click on 'Find latest started threads.

5. Default

Thanks much for replying, Dave! We are totally unfamiliar with the Taos/Sante Fe area but it intrigues us, always wanted to see it, (been to Grand Canyon and Zion etc,, before, (kid's haven't) and thought Taos would be a great place to rest for a couple of days to check the area and town out and Taos Pueblo. We're fascinated by the Native culture. Assume it's worth it? Also, my wife is a weaver, and interested in Native American weaving and Taos seems more scaled for a more intimate experience, (and less pricy than Sante Fe). Thoughts? Mesa Verde was way up on the list, always wanted to see it, and Monument Valley, never been to either, but felt we just had to trim something off and it was it, maybe we'll change our mind if we can. My brother-in-law said Mesa Verde was a bit if a slog, so nixed it due to an already long day. Figured the grinder from North Rim to Durango may take too long to even do "drive by's" of these sites? I'm thinking a Durango area overnight would afford us a relatively short drive to absorb the Taos area. Any suggestions from your experience and sanity check welcome, Dave! Thanks. all opinions welcome...
    Last edited by Index 34; 07-29-2016 at 01:29 PM.

It looks like you have given it some thought and as I said it's what suits you is all that matters. I am not sure what your Brother-in Law meant by a 'slog' but Mesa Verde is time consuming and is not something you could really include as a 'drive by' while travelling from the North rim to Durango. However there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to take a detour along US163 through Monument valley. You could either just drive by and see the Buttes or pay an entry fee and stop for some pictures and a look. You can take a jeep tour but that might take too much time. If you are making good time you could also do the same for Four Corners, it could take no more than 40 minutes including the detour to take the touristy photo. A small fee applies.

From Durango you might want to stop at Pagosa Hot Springs to see the Springs, or perhaps take a dip. Along US64 you will come across the Rio Grande Gorge rest area , it's worth pulling over and walking on the bridge for views along the Gorge. Before you reach the bridge look to your left and you will see the 'Earthship community' which are basically homes made from recyclables. I automatically presume you plan to visit Taos Pueblo, but you could also drive the 'Enchanted circle' route.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 07-30-2016 at 12:12 AM.

7. Default

Very helpful, Dave. It's what I was looking for. It sounds reasonable to fit Monument Valley in. Also decided to do the "Turquoise Highway" out of Santa Fe to Albuquerque. Again, thanks for the tips. Wes