1. Default LA -> Route 66 -> Texas ->Vegas

Hi!

Came across this great forum and wanted to know if anyone out there have any good ideas.
    We have been a few times in america on roadtrips and want to discover some of the south parts. We are planning a 3 week(+-), and first though was to go from LA and take route 66 to oklahoma. Then head south to texas and back towards gran canyon and vegas.

Do any of you have any suggestions if this would make a good trip? We havent decided what cities to visit in texas, but if you have any good ideas we would love some help!

We would get LA, route 66, texas, gran canyon and vegas. Thats sounds like a cool pacakge.

Open for everything, but ending back in vegas would save us some money on the car rental.

Thanks for any help!

Default A Southwestern Loop

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Assuming that you're flying into Los Angeles or Las Vegas from somewhere overseas, it usually makes sense to do a full loop trip, returning to your arrival city for your flight home and dropping the car back where you picked it up, saving on extra flights and/or one way drop-off fees on the car. It is relatively easy to put together such a loop out of L.A. or Las Vegas that hits all your targets. And while you could do the loop in either direction, clockwise or counter-clockwise, in this instance I think counter-clockwise works better for a couple of reasons. It would put the Grand Canyon on 'your' side of the road as you drove through the park making pulling off the road a bit easier, and it saves your major itinerary points 'til near the end of your drive building anticipation. So that's the way I'll describe the loop I'm proposing for you. And I'll start in L.A. although it works just as well starting in Las Vegas.

You'd leave the L.A. area on I-10 past Joshua Tree National Park and through Phoenix and Tucson, and possibly dropping as far south as Big Bend National Park on your way to Fredericksburg and San Antonio. Then head up I-35 through Dallas and Oklahoma City before turning west on I-40. Take that through Amarillo and Albuquerque to the Petrified Forest and Flagstaff. Finally, you'd head up through the Grand Canyon using US-89 and AZ-64 to get to Williams and Back on I-40. At Seligman, you'd leave I-40 and use the longest remaining stretch of the old Route 66 roadbed (now marked as AZ-66) through Peach Springs to Kingman where US-93 will get you up to Las Vegas and I-15 will finally complete the loop back to L.A.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks alot for helping us out!

We have plenty of time to plan this trip, but we now have something to start with.
    Looking forward to this already!

Default Good maps will give you many more options.

Quote Originally Posted by Simenthom View Post
    We have plenty of time to plan this trip, ...
    Did you bring home any maps and/or road atlas from your last trips? That would help you a great deal in your planning. Especially for those things to see along the way. Good maps have so much more information than you will find on a little screen. If you didn't, then I suggest that you purchase Rand McNally rod atlas from the RTA store via the link at the bottom of this page. If you order it now, you will have it in a couple of weeks.

Besides that, it is highly recommended that you carry good maps on the road, so you may as well have them for the planning stage. Relying solely on your electronics is certainly discouraged. Many have done so at their peril.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Assuming that you're flying into Los Angeles or Las Vegas from somewhere overseas, it usually makes sense to do a full loop trip, returning to your arrival city for your flight home and dropping the car back where you picked it up, saving on extra flights and/or one way drop-off fees on the car. It is relatively easy to put together such a loop out of L.A. or Las Vegas that hits all your targets. And while you could do the loop in either direction, clockwise or counter-clockwise, in this instance I think counter-clockwise works better for a couple of reasons. It would put the Grand Canyon on 'your' side of the road as you drove through the park making pulling off the road a bit easier, and it saves your major itinerary points 'til near the end of your drive building anticipation. So that's the way I'll describe the loop I'm proposing for you. And I'll start in L.A. although it works just as well starting in Las Vegas.

You'd leave the L.A. area on I-10 past Joshua Tree National Park and through Phoenix and Tucson, and possibly dropping as far south as Big Bend National Park on your way to Fredericksburg and San Antonio. Then head up I-35 through Dallas and Oklahoma City before turning west on I-40. Take that through Amarillo and Albuquerque to the Petrified Forest and Flagstaff. Finally, you'd head up through the Grand Canyon using US-89 and AZ-64 to get to Williams and Back on I-40. At Seligman, you'd leave I-40 and use the longest remaining stretch of the old Route 66 roadbed (now marked as AZ-66) through Peach Springs to Kingman where US-93 will get you up to Las Vegas and I-15 will finally complete the loop back to L.A.

AZBuck
    What a great post! Even though we've seen all of these places already, I'd love to do this loop! May have to put this on our list of a future road trip! Late fall would be a wonderful time for this. Love Rt. 66 in northern AZ - so many colorful places to visit!

An added must-see for me would be Winslow AZ and the beautiful La Posada Hotel!

Thanks for the post!
    Eieen in (southern) AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Did you bring home any maps and/or road atlas from your last trips? That would help you a great deal in your planning. Especially for those things to see along the way. Good maps have so much more information than you will find on a little screen. If you didn't, then I suggest that you purchase Rand McNally rod atlas from the RTA store via the link at the bottom of this page. If you order it now, you will have it in a couple of weeks.

Besides that, it is highly recommended that you carry good maps on the road, so you may as well have them for the planning stage. Relying solely on your electronics is certainly discouraged. Many have done so at their peril.

Lifey
    You are so right!! No matter how much we rely on our GPS and other devices, there is nothing like having an actual map (or atlas) with you! We ALWAYS have maps in our vehicle corresponding to where we are traveling...they have come in very handy on numerous occasions.

We belong to AAA so I always get the latest maps and tour books for areas we plan to visit. The tour books have a lot of good info as well, such as hotels, attractions and places to eat.

Great suggestion about the maps!

Eileen in AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Simenthom View Post
    Thanks alot for helping us out!

We have plenty of time to plan this trip, but we now have something to start with.
    Looking forward to this already!
    Hello!

If it fits into your plans, do try to make a stop in Winslow AZ (on I-40/Rt.66 between the NM state line and Flagstaff AZ).

You can visit the "standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona" site downtown, and a MUST-SEE is the beautiful and historic La Posada Hotel. If you can't plan to spend the night there, at least allow a couple hours to explore the inside and the grounds!

Enjoy your trip!

Eileen in AZ

If you are a member of AAA, stop in at any California AAA office and ask for the maps of Route 66, Huell Houser's California Gold, and a commemorative map of "Indian Country", which includes Grand Canyon. If you're a member of an auto club in your own country, bring the membership card, as many of them have reciprocal arrangements with AAA and will provide you with free maps and informational brochures. The three maps I just mentioned are new this year -- I just picked up copies yesterday at my local AAA office in San Diego, and she said that all Southern California Auto Club AAA offices are supposed to have them.

Donna

9. Default

I don't know if this helps but last year I did a very similar trip but did it the other way starting in Dallas, Texas and heading towards Las Vegas, Nevada. Depending on what you want to see in Texas (we tended to avoid cities for the more small towns), we went north-west bound up into the Texas Panhandle which is all flatlands and pretty interesting area. We slept one night in Amarillo which I recommend because it sits right on Route 66 and there is the famous Big Texan restaurant. From there we stayed on Route 66 and passed really quirky small Route 66 towns like Adrian, Texas which has the Midpoint Cafe and then onwards into New Mexico where we stayed in Tucumcari, another Route 66 must see. Also right before Tucumcari is a big trucker stop called Russells which is well worth a visit. Amazing little car museum inside the trucker stop! From there you have a lot of freedom whether to stay on Route 66 or go north to Sante Fe/Taos or go straight into Arizona which has its own awesome Route 66 stops such as Flagstaff or Williams (seems like the whole town is dedicated to Route 66). If you have time, I also recommend Durango in souther Colorado. Hope this helps a bit!