1. Default Greensboro, NC to Yellowstone!

We are wanting to take our kids (4.5 & 9) on the ultimate road trip to Yellowstone next early June. We would only have about 9-10 days MAX. Would like to go through Black Hills South Dakota if we had enough time but Yellowstone is the priority. We would really need to do this on the cheap so I am investigating renting a minivan versus taking ours also. We are more then willing to pack a lot of our own food/snacks. This is kind of our dream trip for the kids. Are we crazy or not? Suggestions? $2,500 max budget. Can it be done on that?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default not crazy, but perhaps not the dream you hope for.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Yellowstone is an amazing place for a family trip, and your budget in terms of money could be possible. The problem is that you really don't have enough time. You're looking at a 2,000 mile trip, which means you really need about 4 days to get there and back each day. That's 500 miles a day, which means 8-9 hours in a car each day - and with 3 kids that's a lot. That would give you time to make a few short stops each day, to get the kids out of the car to move and makes some memories. If you're planning to camp, which would be an easy way to save money, that also factors in time to find, setup, and tear down camp each day.

The problem then becomes 8 days are used up for driving, leaving you only 1-2 days left for all of Yellowstone. Yellowstone is a huge park, where you really need 2-3 days just to see the highpoints, and then typically you'd want another day for Grand Teton too.

While I know you stressed that you only have 9-10 days MAX, this trip would be much better with at least 2 full weeks. If you can't do two full weeks, then I would suggest looking for destinations a little closer to home, where you're much more likely to have great memories of fun, rather than memories of hours upon hours spend in the car, with relatively little payoff in the end.