Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 7 Day Road Trip from San Fran to San Diego

7 day trip from San Francisco to San Diego
    3 years ago a trip I was planning for my then 16 year old daughter got derailed by cancer. Now I am trying to give her "gift" in August.
    7 days driving, she wants to see DisneyLand, Universal Studios, LA sites including stops to Hollywood sign, Rodeo Drive n such celebrity inspired stops,- I don't need to stay in LA, (would do Santa Monica?)but I know she will want 2 days of sightseeing all those glamour inspired neighborhoods must have 1 1/2 - 2 days in San Diego (see latest addition to our family).
    Where to stop while driving PCH1. Can I see Lombard St, Alcatraz and then drive to Monterey? Or further in one day.... What to see, what to skip, Novice momma needs your experience for this road trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-21-2016 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added link to previous planning thread

Default Is this a round trip?

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn re View Post
    7 day trip from San Francisco to San Diego
    I hope your daughter's cancer issues have abated or been healed completely!

You posted three different threads about the same trip -- which is a violation of our terms -- please keep all posts about this trip in this thread only!

7 days driving, she wants to see DisneyLand, Universal Studios, LA sites including stops to Hollywood sign, Rodeo Drive n such celebrity inspired stops,
    Is this a round trip? If you follow the coast highway this would be two full days of driving. A place that I like to stay overnight is Cayucos, the room rates are less than other places and the beach is really nice.

So, you don't live in San Francisco and will want to see the tourist places? In that case, you might want to spend the first night in San Francisco. The second in Cayucos -- which is about half way to LA -- spending some time in LA at the glamor places before heading for San Diego. But that would still be a really long day, so I would plan to stop overnight in eastern LA county and then drive to San Diego on Day three.

Mark

Default Time Crunch

Welcome back to the RTA Forum!

I would start by going back and looking at your thread from 3 years ago, as there is a wealth of information there that is still very useful.

Having said that, I'm already seeing far more than 7 days of activities on your agenda.

2 days in San Diego
    2 days total for Disney and Universal (1 day each)
    2 days for other sightseeing around LA.
    2 days to drive the PCH from SF to LA
    1 day (?) to see San Francisco.

You're already at 9 days to fit in what you mentioned, and then there could also be the factor of travel time getting into SF and out of SD?

So, I'd guess right now, I think you probably need to figure out your priorities. Since it sounds like exploring LA is a priority, it might be best just to focus on Southern California this trip, and leave SF and the PCH for another day.

4. Default

I apologize about multiple posts, I am not savvy with this and working off mini iPad with poor eyesight.
    I Thank you Mark and Midwest Michael for responding.
    Yes I did ask this years ago but diagnosis slammed us, my son(now 22) and he is in remission. No round trip it will be realistically just a taste of the points she wants to see. Flights and rental will start from SF on 8/21 and end the evening of 8/27 in SD.
    My brain fried after 2 +years of his treatment and so I apologize to all for attempting this request again. Only thing I have is flights scheduled.
    Not sure of what to see and not see but a few tips on where to stop midway to LA the 1st night would be a start. Am I crazy to think I can do a little of SF n leave down PCH? Stop overnight somewhere - little more sightseeing, stop in Anaheim? Stay 1 day, then Santa Monica or LA for those postcard spots and finally last 1 1/2 - 2 in SD.
    TRULY Appreciate all replies.

Flying to SF, exploring the city, and driving midway to LA via the PCH is not possible in one day.

As previously mentioned, SF to LA via that PCH is a 2 day drive all by itself, so just driving midway to LA should be your plan for a day all by itself.

Also, Anaheim is south of LA, so anything you do there should be done just before you head on to SD.

Really, the only way I can see your plan working is like this:
    8/21 - Arrive in SF, explore the city, and find a hotel out near the airport.
    8/22-8/23 - Pick up rental car, drive down PCH
    8/24-8/25 - Explore LA and Anaheim
    8/26-8/27 - Drive to SD, explore SD, Fly home.

If 2 days is not enough time in LA, then you may need to skip the PCH, and just sprint down I-5 to get to LA. That would give you one more full day in the greater LA area to explore.

I wouldn't bother picking up a rental car until day 2. A car isn't much of a help in SF, and unless you plan to skip seeing the city altogether, I can't see anyway you'd have time to cover any miles down the road on the day you fly into SF.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-23-2016 at 08:25 AM. Reason: changed SF to SD

6. Default

Thank you Mark and Michael, your input will help me plan a more realistic trip and allow her to see a glimpse of California. I am grateful for your knowledge.

7. Default

Car show around the 8/21 and 8/22 dates --- major chains around Monterey/ Carmel are booked. Have any suggestions for (reasonable priced places) somewhere before Big Sur (when traveling south from San Francisco) to lay our weary heads -- next morning will drive towards LA on the PCH. Appreciate it.

I can't see how you're going to make any plan where you stay north of big Sur work, even if you didn't have the problem finding a hotel. This may be a blessing in disguise.

9. Default

No sure I understand why... Are you saying I cannot drive from San Francisco at 6-7pm and reach Monterey or Carmel to stay overnight. What will be the reason.

Default Timing.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn re View Post
    No sure I understand why... Are you saying I cannot drive from San Francisco at 6-7pm and reach Monterey or Carmel to stay overnight. What will be the reason.
    You need two days to drive from Monterey to LA. It is a drive which cannot be safely done in a day. Leave SF and drive to Cambria or San Simeon, then onto LA next day. That is why Michael suggested your inability to get accommodation is a blessing in disguise.

Lifey