Night 18 — Grand Canyon NP (South Rim)
    Night 19 — Grand Canyon NP (South Rim)
    Night 20 — Bryce Canyon NP
    Night 21 — Bryce Canyon NP
    Night 22 — Springdale (Zion NP)
    Night 23 — Springdale (Zion NP)
    Night 24 — Las Vegas
    Night 25 — Las Vegas
    then 1 week LA or San Francisco or both?

We are not into spending heaps of time in major cities
    For me this itinerary looks much more attractive and has less time in the City's, but it's where you want to go is all that matters. From a personal point of view I would much rather head to Estes Park than Denver and explore the Bear Lake area of Rocky mountain NP, but again, what works for me doesn't mean it will for you.

3. Default

Thanks Dave, I have acutally been looking into Estes Park and we think this might be a much nicer option than middle of Denver itself. Do you have any suggestions for accommodation in that area?

Default A Unique Stay in Estes Park

At one point in this discussion you said that "The cost isn't so much a burden, I guess its trying to 'get the best for our money.'" If that's true about accommodations as well, then I'm going to suggest that you at least look into the possibility of staying at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. This is one of the few remaining Grande Dames of great hotels with a magnificent view of the Rockies, and it was the inspiration for Stephen King's The Shining.

AZBuck

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    At one point in this discussion you said that "The cost isn't so much a burden, I guess its trying to 'get the best for our money.'" If that's true about accommodations as well, then I'm going to suggest that you at least look into the possibility of staying at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. This is one of the few remaining Grande Dames of great hotels with a magnificent view of the Rockies, and it was the inspiration for Stephen King's The Shining.

AZBuck
    No we would rather budget accommodation and spend the money on the travel, attractions, experiences etc. Accommodation is just a place to sleep. We were hoping to budget $100AUD per night for accommodation

Default Fair Enough

You should, however, be aware that $100/night in season in Estes Park will only get you the most bare-boned of a budget motel room. Prices start there and rapidly rise to $150-200 for more reasonable lodgings. In such cases, my wife and I have often found that we can rent entire small homes for a night through Airbnb for what we would otherwise pay for four walls and a bed.

AZBuck

$100 AUD is about $75 USD - that's going to be pretty tough in Estes Park.

Even $100 American is going to be tough, in Estes Park. Years ago, we were looking for a budget accommodation in Estes Park, as one of our motel-stop-between-tenting nights. We found one, but it wasn't cheap.

I just pulled out my Colorado AAA Tour book from this year. The other thing you'll have to deal with, besides price, are opening dates. While the chain hotels are open year-round, for the most part, some of the less expensive mom-and-pops are not. They open between May 1st and May 20th, it appears.

Donna

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Even $100 American is going to be tough, in Estes Park. Years ago, we were looking for a budget accommodation in Estes Park, as one of our motel-stop-between-tenting nights. We found one, but it wasn't cheap.

I just pulled out my Colorado AAA Tour book from this year. The other thing you'll have to deal with, besides price, are opening dates. While the chain hotels are open year-round, for the most part, some of the less expensive mom-and-pops are not. They open between May 1st and May 20th, it appears.

Donna
    Thanks Donna, we had noticed this when looking for a few accommodation options. We should be in that area from about mid May onwards so we are hoping that most will be open by the time we are there.

10. Default

Well we have booked the flights - no turning back now! :)

In regards to car hire and accommodation, can anyone suggest how far in advance we should book the car hire?
    I understand that we need to get on to our accommodation near the NP's, what about places before these locations? Can we wing it or be able to book closer to the date?
    I understand for some we need to be well planned ahead and have it booked but we would like some flexibility if possible that if we pull up somewhere and its not quite what we expected we can just do one night and move on or opposite stay a couple if we are enjoying it - in May/early June is this too difficult to do and we should have everything booked ahead?