1. Default Washington, D.C. To Nashville

We are intending on driving from Washington DC to Nashville with an overnight stay perhaps half way . We don't have time to do all of the BRP and I was wondering what parts are a must see and suggestions on where to stay . We will be doing this trip in September leaving Washington on Sun morning hopefully getting to Nashville late Monday arvo
    Last edited by deanwalshgabell; 07-10-2016 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Add

Default When in September Matters

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you are planning on making this trip in the later half of September, then I'd recommend that you get on the Blue Ridge Parkway, or even Skyline Drive, as far north as possible. That's because the foliage will just be starting to change colors then and that process starts in the north and works its way south. If you are going in the earlier part of September, then it doesn't matter much where you get your BRP experience, although south of Roanoke the BRP and I-81 start to diverge a bit, making getting back to the highway a bit more of a job. Halfway would put you in the Wytheville/Bristol area and near to Mount Rogers National Recreation Area.

AZBuck

Default Which Trip?

Is this part of your other plan, or does it replace your previous plan(s)?

4. Default

This is our latest plan , we have booked accomodation for Monday the 12/9 in Nashville.my friends are leaning towards I95 so I just need a bit of local knowledge . We were hoping to stay at Asheville but I think we will be pushing it.

Default But...

I-95 is nowhere near any route between Washington DC and Nashville, so I'm not at all sure what your friends have in mind. Asheville, at about 475 miles from Washington, is possible in a day, but not if you spend any serious amount of time on either Skyline Drive or the Blue Ridge Parkway where speed limits are often 35 mph and passing opportunities are limited. I-95/I-85/I-40 is a possible route to Asheville but it's longer than, and not nearly as scenic as, I-66/I-81/I-26.

AZBuck

Skyline Drive is 105 miles long, speed limit 30mph in most places. It's a good 3-4 hours just to drive it, 5 hours if you stop at all. My husband and I realized, after 75 miles and 3-1/2 hours, that we needed to get back to I-81 in order to make our destination. We did the next 30 miles in about 75 minutes, only 2 stops, but traffic kept us slow.

Donna

Default Besides the fact that it does not go where you are going.

Quote Originally Posted by deanwalshgabell View Post
    ... my friends are leaning towards I95 ...
    You don't say where you live..... but if you are familiar with Sydney peak hour traffic - well double it and a bit more. That is what your friends are leaning towards.

Why would they want to drive on the busiest interstates in North America. A road many of us avoid.

As for BRP and Skyline, I agree with Donna, it is not a road many folk drive in one 'sitting'. I have driven all of it, but in four 'sittings'.

Lifey

8. Default

Thanks guys we are from Sydney and loathe traffic so I can't wait to tell them your info . I think I will push for I-81 . Thanks again can't wait to get there it looks amazing😄