Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Yellowstone to Arches, Bryce, Zion and Mojave Itinerary

Hi all,

I'm in the near-final stages of planning a road trip that takes us from Sacramento to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Arches, Capitol Reef, Canyon Lands, Bryce, Zion, Las Vegas, Death Valley and back to Sacramento via 395. I have some itinerary issues with Yellowstone, which I'll post on another thread if I can't find an answer already posted, but for right now, I'm trying to do the next to last leg from Vegas to Bishop.

I am planning to drive from 15 to 160 to 190 to 395, but noticed on a map there's this little detour-ish road called 159 that goes out to Red rock. Is this something we want to do, or should we ignore it and go straight from 15 to the 160?

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by scluvsrain; 07-06-2016 at 07:49 PM.

You'll probably be told by a moderator to put all of your questions about one road trip into the same thread. It helps us regulars stay sane and make better suggestions for you.

That said, I will allow somebody else to advise you regarding the route from Las Vegas to Bishop. It might help us to know what you are driving (rental of some type? RV?)

What type of itinerary issues are you having with Yellowstone?

Donna

Red Rock Canyon is a very nice place to explore just outside of Vegas. If you use NV-159, however, you should then drive the loop back through the National Recreational Area so you can really enjoy this area. Depending upon how long you'll be in Vegas, you could easily just make that it's own afternoon trip.

4. Default

Oops, sorry about splitting my itinerary - Okay, here is the total road trip plan:
    Leave day after Labor Day.
    Day 1 - Cool, CA to Salt Lake City, overnight with friend in SLC
    Day 2 - SLC to Jackson, via the scenic routes overnight in Jackson.
    Day 3 - Jackson to Canyon area in Yellowstone, scenic driving through Grand Tetons, enter Yellowstone from South Entrance, meander up right side of loop ending in Canyon, overnight at Canyon Lodge.
    Day 4 - Here's a bit of the dilemma - I thought to do combo of some short walks/hikes on way up past Lower Falls, North Rim Drive, Grand Canyon area, Tower Falls, ending up in Mammoth, but overnight I have reservations in Gardiner MT. I ALSO have a duplicate reservation in West Yellowstone at Gray Wolf Inn. I am also trying to secure a reservation at Old Faithful lodges for Day 4 night, and if I'm successful, I will cancel Gardiner and West Yellowstone for that night.
    Day 5 - Drive down from Gardiner to Norris, then Madison and then spend bulk of day in the Old Faithful area (hence wanting to try to get into lodge(s) there from the night before. End day 5 in West Yellowstone at Gray Wolf Inn.
    Day 6 - Leave Yellowstone and head back to SLC via Idaho Falls (for different drive). Overnight with friend again in SLC.
    Day 7 - Drive to Moab. Have 2 nights at KOA cabin there. Hike in afternoon Delicate Arch and then do some scenic driving/stopping and spend evening in Moab.
    Day 8 - Drive to Devils Garden and do hike. Back to Moab to hang out in town. Overnight again in Moab.
    Day 9 - Leave Moab, stop at Dead Horse Point, then head toward Canyon Lands Park, Maybe do Canyon Overlook hike and/or Mesa Arch. Drive to Capitol Reef via 191/70/24, stop at Goblin Valley, Visit Hickman Bridge and/or hike Grand Wash. Arrive in Torrey very late in day, overnight Torrey at Broken Spur Inn & Steakhouse.
    Day 10 - Head out on Hwy 12 and meander down to Bryce - Detour and hike Lower Calf Creek Falls near Boulder, near Escalante detour down Hole In Rock Road and get out to Devils Garden, arrive at Visitor Center for Bryce late afternoon, overnight at Bryce Canyon Pines (still will try to get a room at Bryce Canyon Lodge, but sold out so far).
    Day 11 - My birthday! Up early - sunrise at Bryce Point, breakfast, then hike Navajo Loop down, Queen's Garden up. Then do scenic driving and head down to Zion/Springdale. Overnight at Desert Pearl.
    Day 12 - Spend day in Zion scenic driving and hiking. Canyon Overlook Trail, part of Narrows. Overnight at Desert Pearl again.
    Day 13 - Drive to Vegas. Bebop around, show "O" at Bellagio, overnight at Bally's.
    Day 14 - Drive to Bishop, via Death Valley.
    Day 15 - Drive home to Cool/Sacramento via 395/50/49.

Would appreciate input, especially figuring out timing/routing in Yellowstone.

I think staying in Gardiner for your 2nd night in Yellowstone would work pretty well. In addition to the things you have planned, it might also allow you to detour and spend a little time exploring the Lamar Valley.

That said, if Lamar is not essential, it's still completely feasible to make it down to either West Yellowstone or Old Faithful - especially if you are just focusing on driving from Mammoth to there, and coming back to visit things like Norris along the way the next day.

Noting your complete itinerary, I think I'd leave off Red Rocks and use that time to further explore Death Valley.

6. Default

Thank you Michael.

BTW, I tried to change the title of my thread to include YNP and the other parks we're planning to visit. Figured I might get some additional feedback if the thread showed all of the parks on my planned trip. But it didn't work.....

I don't believe users are allowed to change the thread title - it has to be done by a Moderator. In any case, I've made the change for you.

8. Default

Thank you!

9. Default Salt Lake City to Moab - Most Scenic Route?

I've looked high and low, and can't seem to find any threads on this topic. I'm heading down from SLC to Moab in mid-September. Not on a huge time schedule, will leave around 9:00 AM from SLC and would like to get to Moab around mid afternoon, probably not later than 3 PM.

I can't seem to decide between I-15 to 50 to I-70 to 128 (to come in back way to Moab), or I-15 to 6 to 191 to I-70 to 128.

I've read where the 6 route is shorter by maybe 30-45 minutes, but I've also read that I-15 to I-70 is prettier.

I'm in a quandary. To put it in perspective, this is midway through a 2 week trip that takes us from Sacramento to Salt Lake to Yellowstone, down to Moab/Arches, over to Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion, Vegas, Death Valley and then up 395 to home. So there will not have been a dearth of scenic vistas by any stretch.

I'm sure many of you have run these routes. Advice?

Moderator Note: Please keep all questions about the same trip in the same thread.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-23-2016 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Merged Threads

I would lean towards 15/50/70/128. It is going to be about 300 miles, but the stretch between the jct of 50 and 70, and Green River, is desolately beautiful.

Just one viewpoint along I-70 eastbound, somewhere between Salina and Green River:
    IMG_3818 by jeanniesisters, on Flickr

Bear in mind that UT-128 is narrow, somewhat windy, and there are places where the passenger (southbound) will be able to look straight down to the river, with either no guardrail or very little other "protection". Drive safely. Also, for the first two or three miles, you may wonder if you are on the right road. You probably are. It's BLM land and not extremely well posted and marked.