1. Default Scottsdale - San Francisco in september

Hey all

We will be going from Scottsdale to San Francisco in September and need some hints for trip.

We will be going through Joshua Tree Park, and go along Highway 5 after that... we will not go to highway 1 as we drove that trip last year.

What can people recommend to see on this trip, and not least, take pictures of :-)

Looking forward to your rreplies :-)

Jesper

If you're limiting yourself to I-10 and I-5 you're going to be fairly limited in terms of big highlight stops. The desert along I-10 certainly has some unique beauty as a desert, and you're already heading for Joshua Tree. Beyond that, however, you've got LA sprawl, a pretty straightforward mountain drive over the Grapevine, and then lots and lots of farm country through the central valley.

How much time do you have for this trip? There is a lot of great natural beauty other than the coast that you could look at adding, but it seems right now you're focusing on roads built primarily for speed over beauty.

Default Possible Options

If you enter Joshua Tree NP from the south (Exit 168 off I-10), use Cottonwood Springs, Pinto Springs, Park and Quail Basin Roads to depart through the West Entrance to CA-62 west to the town of Yucca Valley, you can take CA-247 north from there to Barstow CA (home of the world's tallest thermometer). Then CA-58 west will take you past Edwards Air Force Base (home of the 'Right Stuff' and although public tours are available, I'm not sure if photography is allowed), through Bakersfield and on to I-5 north. One final photo op would be Kern National Wildlife Refuge between Exits 278 and 288.

AZBuck

Barstow has some interesting things to see -- one of Fred Harvey's houses, Calico Ghost Town, the old railroad depot. However, Baker is the home of the World's Largest Thermometer, rather than Barstow. When we were through there a few weeks ago, the thermometer was not working.

Donna

5. Default

AZBuck: This sounds like a plan :-)

I would actually prefer small roads as there are more to see there than on the big roads :-)

Last time i was in the US we went down Highway 1 and the trip before that we did the trip along the Mountains through Fresno and heading for Yosemite :-) so i am looking for places inbetween these 2 trips :-)

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    If you enter Joshua Tree NP from the south (Exit 168 off I-10), use Cottonwood Springs, Pinto Springs, Park and Quail Basin Roads to depart through the West Entrance to CA-62 west to the town of Yucca Valley, you can take CA-247 north from there to Barstow CA (home of the world's tallest thermometer). Then CA-58 west will take you past Edwards Air Force Base (home of the 'Right Stuff' and although public tours are available, I'm not sure if photography is allowed), through Bakersfield and on to I-5 north. One final photo op would be Kern National Wildlife Refuge between Exits 278 and 288.

AZBuck

Default How much time do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by jasz View Post
    AZBuck:... so i am looking for places inbetween these 2 trips :-)
    You don't say how much time you have for this trip, but if you have enough time, have you thought of detouring through Death Valley, and then taking one of the passes over the Sierras to SF..... or you could head up US-395 and take I-80 into SF.

There is no end of opportunities for spectacular photography in those places.

Lifey