1. Default My first road trip!!

My best friend and I are moving from southern Maryland to Southern California. We were gonna just follow the GPS and hoped we passed by somewhere fun lol. We would really love to know a great route with places to stop, see, or stay. Please help 😩

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The best thing you can do, if you want to have a great roadtrip, is to put down the GPS and actually learn about your surroundings. Take a look at some real maps (an essential tool on the road that can not be replaced by a GPS), take a look at things like the RTA Map Center, and see for yourself your wide range of options for things you could see and do.

When talking about a trip that goes from coast to coast, the number of routes you could take along with the places you could stop, see, and stay, easily numbers in the billions. I'd recommend you spend a little time figuring out a few things that might be a must see for you. Once you've got something of a framework for what you hope to do and what you hope to get out of this trip, then others will be in a much better position to offer you some specific advice.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

I'm in agreement with MWMichael -- get a map, or set of maps! If you're near a big box store or book store, you can pick up a Rand McNally road atlas with a national map and all the individual maps. If you're a member of AAA, you can get free maps with your paid membership.

The other thing that crossed my mind: You're moving, but how long do you have to get to where you're going? And are you driving any sort of moving truck or towing a U-Haul? All those will factor into what routes you can take, and (sorry to say) where you can stop, too. Basically, a direct route, non-towing/non-truck route is going to take 5 days of driving (add a day for towing/driving a truck). Add days for sightseeing.

Finally, an early "welcome to California" from this California-resident, to you.