1. Default Road Trip from San Francisco to Las Vegas via Salt Lake City, young couple from HK

Hi, Hello there - I am so glad to have found this website, there's so much great information here! I haven't found a thread that answers this question but if there is, if someone can point me to it that would be great.

I have just started planning a road trip from San Francisco to Utah, and I would love any suggestions. We are a young couple from Hong Kong and this is our first time in America. We are going to spend a few days in San Francisco with my friend living in San Jose from 3rd of Sep to 6th of Sep. Recently I have booked a sedan ready to pick up on 6th of Sep and think it would be great if I could spend 2 days of travelling from SF to Salt Lake City because we have a wedding to witness on 9th of Sep - so that we need to be in SLC on or before 8th of Sep. After that, we'll head south to Las Vegas and that's where we are leaving on 13th of Sep.

My initial plan is SF-Reno(layover)-Ely(layover)-SLC-LV, is it a good plan or are there any more options available.

It'd be nice if I could know more about point of interests along the route as well.

Many thanks.

Default A bit of nature perhaps.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

There are many more options, although the best one is the one that takes you to the places you wish to visit, and what you have worked out will work well. If it were me, I would look at going to Yosemite valley for my first night and see nature at it's best, and then drive over the spectacular Tioga Pass [CA120] on route to Ely, especially as most of your trip is city based.

Personally I would also break the journey from SLC to LV with a night in Zion NP, or the lovely town of Springdale that sits right by the entrance to the park. With an early[ish] start from SLC you could possibly detour for a quick stop at Bryce canyon and the enter Zion via the Mt Carmel tunnel, another spectacular drive.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    If it were me, I would look at going to Yosemite valley for my first night and see nature at it's best, and then drive over the spectacular Tioga Pass [CA120] on route to Ely, especially as most of your trip is city based.
    Well after a little bit of research it's a shame that I couldn't do the Yosemite valley at the first night as I have decided I'd stay in Reno because I am starting from Vallejo at 5pm. It's a 3 hours drive from Vallejo to Reno so that in the next day I could go to the Heavenly Hoofprints to have a horseback trail before heading out again. I think I'd stop by Toiyabe Cafe in Austin as my rest point. However, I still could not decide whether going straight to Ely or Elko for the night. My first thought about Ely is because people from this forum recommend I-15 to SLT over I-80. Surely I'd love some nature scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Personally I would also break the journey from SLC to LV with a night in Zion NP, or the lovely town of Springdale that sits right by the entrance to the park. With an early[ish] start from SLC you could possibly detour for a quick stop at Bryce canyon and the enter Zion via the Mt Carmel tunnel, another spectacular drive.
    Thanks! I'll look into it and see if I could give a night in Zion NP or Springdale. :)

4. Default

I live in Sacramento area and have driven Sac to SLC several times. It can be done in one day from where I live, albeit a very long day (like around 10 hours or so). I'd stick with your first night in Reno, and then go for Elko. Elko is about the 1/2 way point between Reno and SLC. If you left Elko in the morning, you'd be in SLC by afternoon - it's around 4 hours or so.

I second others' suggestions for Zion and Bryce. I'm heading there myself around the same time as you.

My first thought about Ely is because people from this forum recommend I-15 to SLT over I-80. Surely I'd love some nature scene
    If you are in no hurry to arrive in SLC and you went to Ely, you could possibly drive up Wheeler peak scenic drive in Great Basin NP for some great views. [NP entry fee's apply]. Walking up the top can be tough at that elevation but there is an old forest and lake.