1. Default 5 day tour from Niagara Falls to NY.

Hello,
    We are (couple age 50) travelling for the first time to USA for two weeks in mid September.
    I need your help in planning a nice and scenic tour From Buffalo where we rent a car , through Watkins Glen, Finger Lakes, Lake placid,Adirondacks maybe Stowe or Burlington and finally arriving after 5 or 6 days to New York city from the Hudson Valley.
    I'd like to get some help , where we should visit , which nice and scenic routes we can take, where to sleep and if i have to make already reservations for the Motels/ Hotels or i can decide in the last minute depending on the place we like, and there we would like to stay maybe one night or two.
    Thank you !

Default A Nice Tour

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There is a lot to like about your proposed RoadTrip, and there are certainly a number of scenic roads connecting the places you've listed. Certainly five days is enough time to hit all of them at a relaxed pace. Unfortunately, there's an almost unlimited number of possible scenic routes and five days really won't give you the time needed to see any of the sites you drive to in any depth. So, it looks like what you need is some help in making your RoadTrip relatively efficient. The rest of it - scenery, history, good food - will tend to take care of itself.

With that in mind, here's a good, efficient (but not necessarily the 'best' - that's up to you) route that can work for you. leave the Buffalo area on US-20A through East Aurora to Warsaw. There take NY-19/NY-19A to Portageville and Letchworth State Park, then continue east on NY-436 to I-390/ I-86 and Corning, From there NY-414 will take you to Watkins Glen. (Note, this is a slightly longer route than necessary, but the shorter route entails county and local roads.) Next up, NY-14 will take you north along the west side of Seneca Lake to US-20 east through Seneca Falls, past Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge, and generally along the old Erie Canal to I-81 north. At Watertown, NY-3 provides a scenic route through the Adirondacks to Saranac Lake and from there NY-86 takes you through Lake Placid to Jay and NY-9A to Keeseville. Follow US-9/NY-373 to Fort Kent and take the ferry to Burlington.

From Burlington, take I-89 to Waterbury and VT-100 north to Stowe where the highlights include Ben and Jerry's and the Trapp Family Lodge. To then get back to New York, most mapping routines will take you back to I-89 and south to I-91 south to New Haven CT and I-95 to New York, but if you have a little extra time, I think you'd much more enjoy using VT-100 through Plymouth to Massachusetts where it becomes MA-8 and takes you to MA-2 west through the Berkshires to US-7 south which connects to I-95 at Norwalk, CT.

AZBuck

3. Default Another question pls.

Hello,

thanks a lot for your quick response,
    Do you think i have to make already reservations for hotels, or i can wait and decide during our tour and see where we like to stay?

:)
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-05-2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Removed quote of entire previous post

Default People Do Both

Whether to pre-book accommodations or not has many advocates on both sides. Some people like the freedom of being able to stop for the day if they find some place more interesting than expected or to continue on if they're ahead of schedule. My wife and I are on the other side of the fence. We prefer to do our comparison shopping from the comfort of our home beforehand and find the places that suit our tastes rather than taking pot luck and/or facing the possibility of 'No Vacancy' signs.

To some extent, the decision of whether to pre-book depends on the time and place of your travels. Mid-September in New York and New England should be a relatively quiet period between summer travelers and leaf-peepers, so I would think that in general you would be able to find accommodations relatively easily if you wanted to just see where the end of each day found you.

AZBuck

Default Winging it.

Some of us never book beforehand, unless it is a holiday weekend or special occasion.

If you are going to go the way of deciding during your trip, be sure that you do the research from the comfort of your home. Know what is available in each area/place, and make a list of them together with phone numbers. That makes it much easier than just deciding to start looking when you get to a place. It also pays to find out if a special event is coming to that area which is likely to book out all the rooms.

The visitor information offices can often be of great help, and if they recommend a place already on your list, you have some confirmation that you are on the right track.

Lifey

6. Default

Hi ,
    thanks a lot for the very informative awnsers.
    Can you please tell me more, beside the scenic route and ways to drive from place to place (great explanation) , where are the highlights
    in this kind of tour? i mean where to stop along the journey, for example a nice park, wineries, town or waterfall, that worth the effort to get there.
    In addition regarding the acommodation question , in which cities or towns its recommended to stay, places where we can find also nice restaurants or a near by Outlet?

Thank you very much!

Default It's your trip, your highlights.

Highlights are like must sees, they are very much a personal taste. What you may consider as a highlight, I might want to pass by, or vice versa.

Some have already been mentioned by Buck (above), and you have quite a few in your original posting. If you are still looking for more, you can research any of the routes you are considering, and see what other points of interest are along the way which appeal to you. All maps show these, and many of them would also be on the web. Try the map pages on this site, and see what you find.

Lifey