Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Vancouver, Washington to LAS VEGAS.

The wife and I are planning our first road trip, and we're trying to figure out the best route to Vegas. We're thinking about cutting through California, driving through Reno to stop at In and Out burger and then head straight to Vegas from there. At first, we were going to drive southeast through Oregon and straight down through Nevada, but we're kind of worried about the endless desert.

Any tips?

Default Tip. Make sure you have enough time to keep safe.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Going by your comment that you are going to stop in Reno for a burger, I am concerned you are thinking of doing the journey without an overnight stop. If that's the case my top tip is, DON'T ! It is much to far to drive in one day safely. The route[s] to Reno are nice and if that's what appeals then that's the way you should go , but I am not sure why you are worried about "endless desert". There are towns and fuel stops, so with basic planning you would be fine and personally I find the desert landscape to be fascinating, but it's each to there own. If by chance you have more time than 1 night you could look at sight seeing options along different routes and see what appeals to you and create a route from that.

If you have any specific questions, just ask.

3. Default

Thanks for the reply and tip! We'll be stopping to rest so no worries there. Neither of us will be driving longer than 5 or 6 hours each.

Has anybody made a trip from Washington like this? Perhaps have a preferred route? If it's better to travel directly there instead of going out of the way to an in n out we're fine waiting until we get to Vegas the following day.

I'm mostly worried about running out of gas if there's no gas station for over 100 miles or something. I think my mind is just wrapped around horror movies.

Default More than a Burger

If you plan to go through Reno on your way to Las Vegas, that is actually as good a place as any to spend the night before continuing on to Vegas the next day. If you get an early enough start on Day 1, avoid any significant delays with Portland's morning rush hour, and don't make any long stops for sight-seeing along the way, you should be able to get into Reno by early evening, say 6:00 PM or so. Remember that much of this first day's drive will be on two-lane mountain roads, e.g. CA-89, and it's nearly 600 miles to Reno. So, an In-N-Out Burger (they have two locations in Reno), a short stroll around the "The Biggest Little City in the World", and a good night's sleep will set you up for the next day's 450 mile leg into Las Vegas.

There are only a couple of paces in the 'Lower 48' where motorist services are on the order of 100 miles apart. They are all well marked and none of them are on your route. Top up when your gas guage starts heading towards a quarter full and you should have no problems.

AZBuck

Is In-n-out the only reason you're planning to visit Reno? If so, you should know that In-n-out is very common in California and you'll find them in pretty much every significant sized city along I-5. A better idea might be to head to Sacramento (a full day, 10-12 hour drive from Vancouver), eat at one of the roughly dozen In-n-out locations there, and continue to Vegas the next day.

Are you aware that there are 9 locations in Las Vegas for In-n-Out? Plus one in Henderson, Laughlin, and in North Las Vegas? Here is a list of In-n-Out locations.

In-n-Out is based out of Baldwin Park, CA, so they're all over our fair state. Some are right along I-5, too.

Donna

7. Default

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Port...6!2d36.1699412

What do you guys think of this route? It's much shorter then heading down to sacramento and then over through reno, and about an hour quicker then stopping in Reno (we can stop elsewhere).

Should I trust google on this one and take this route? We leave tonight so thanks for the replies!

8. Default

If someone could go to google maps, type in Portland Oregon to Las Vegas, and tell me if they think the shortest route is something that may be better than stopping in Sacramento or Reno, I'd appreciate it! Attempted to post a link but it has to be approved I guess.

Thanks!

It's a question only you can answer, in what way would it be better for you ? You will need an overnight stop no matter what, so decide where you would like that to be. [You still didn't say how much time you plan to spend on this journey and there is loads you could possibly see]

Default Your Call, But If It Were Me...

The 'eastern' route through eastern Oregon and central Nevada is a mere 15 miles and 25 minutes or so shorter than the 'western' route through central Oregon, northeastern California and western Nevada. Unless those few minutes were to make a critical difference in your being able to make the trip in the time you have or took you somewhere you really wanted to go, I would suggest that you take the nominally longer western route. 25 minutes difference on a two day drive is simply not meaningful. To me, the biggest differences between the two routes are 1) Scenic Beauty with the western route spends considerable time in the Cascades and Sierra Nevada while the eastern route is largely in the Great Sandy Desert and Basin and Range Province, and 2) Interesting Overnight Stop where I'd have to again give the decided advantage to the western route and Reno over the eastern route and Winnemucca or Battle Mountain.

AZBuck