1. Default Summer road trip from Boston, MA to Denver, CO

My wife and I are planning a road trip from Boston to Denver. We intend to leave on 7/10 (Sun) early morning, stay overnight halfway (somewhere around Chicago), and get to our destination on 7/11 (Mon) night. Is this realistic? Does anyone have any advice on what routes to take, lodging, and places to eat (we're vegetarians)? We don't care about the scenery. We just want the fastest routes. We're also bringing along our 90-lb labrador mix. Therefore, any tip on how to travel with a pet is greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm sorry, but no, your trip idea is not realistic. In fact, it's not even close to realistic. At nearly 2000 miles, you need a minimum of Four days just to get from Boston to Denver safely.

Doing this with just one overnight as you've listed isn't even physically possible, as you'd have to be on the road for about 20 hours each day. Disregard the fantasy times that online mapping programs like to provide.

In the real world, 550 miles is about the limit you should be looking to travel each day. Factoring in extra time for extra stops for your pet, that's already going to be 10+ hours each day on the road. Anything beyond that will quickly cause you to be a fatigued driver - even with 2 drivers - and anything beyond that is also quickly going to become very uncomfortable for your large dog.

How much time do you have for your total trip? I suspect looking for a destination in the eastern half of the US or Canada is probably going to be a much better bet.

3. Default Summer road trip from Boston, MA to Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm sorry, but no, your trip idea is not realistic. In fact, it's not even close to realistic. At nearly 2000 miles, you need a minimum of Four days just to get from Boston to Denver safely.

Doing this with just one overnight as you've listed isn't even physically possible, as you'd have to be on the road for about 20 hours each day. Disregard the fantasy times that online mapping programs like to provide.

In the real world, 550 miles is about the limit you should be looking to travel each day. Factoring in extra time for extra stops for your pet, that's already going to be 10+ hours each day on the road. Anything beyond that will quickly cause you to be a fatigued driver - even with 2 drivers - and anything beyond that is also quickly going to become very uncomfortable for your large dog.

How much time do you have for your total trip? I suspect looking for a destination in the eastern half of the US or Canada is probably going to be a much better bet.
    Midwest Michael,

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll be playing in a soccer tournament, which will start on 7/13 (Wed). If I get to Denver on 10/12 (Tue), I should be fine. Should I leave on 7/9 (Sat), instead? As you can tell, I'm new to long road trips, and every tip is appreciated.

Default Shunning some of those tolls.

You can avoid both Chicago and most of the tolls, if you leave the MassPike and head down I-84 to I-81 and then take I-80 across PA. Pick up I-76 (in Youngstown I think it is), then I-71 to I-70 to Denver. I have done this run several times and it avoids all the tolls along the Lakes as well as Chicago traffic.

Lifey

Leave on Saturday. Drive Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, about 500 miles per day. Look on this as a marathon, not a sprint. Stick to all interstates - get yourself down to I-80, stay on that across most of the states until you come to I-76 in eastern CO/western NE. That will take you down to Denver.

Stop every couple of hours for a good stretch break. Get fuel when you need it. Walk the dog. If it's really hot, don't leave Fido in the car. Get food from a drive-through and then take it to a park or rest area to eat, so Fido can get out. You can find pet-friendly accommodations along the way by going to the motel finder here and searching under pet-friendly. As a general rule, Motel 6 and La Quinta are two chains that usually welcome pets.

Donna

6. Default

I really appreciate your taking the time to send me your comments. Thank you so much!
    Last edited by Samboy; 06-27-2016 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Wrong message.

7. Default

It's good to know you've done it several times. Thank you for your advice!

8. Default Planning Summer Trip from Boston, MA to Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    You can avoid both Chicago and most of the tolls, if you leave the MassPike and head down I-84 to I-81 and then take I-80 across PA. Pick up I-76 (in Youngstown I think it is), then I-71 to I-70 to Denver. I have done this run several times and it avoids all the tolls along the Lakes as well as Chicago traffic.

Lifey
    Lifemagician,

The message below was sent to you, but I'm afraid you've never gotten it:
    It's good to know you've done it several times. Thank you for your advice!