1. Default Best route to avoid mountain roads back to chicago

Need to avoid mountain roads charlotsville va to Chicago. (Spouse bad motion sickness). Suggestions, please. Thanks. (New member )

Default Two Things

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You do have a bit of a problem in that the Appalachians are smack dab in the way of your journey. However, there are two things that can help ameliorate your drive. The first is that the Interstate Highway System was built to design standards that severely limit both grades and curves, keeping the roads as straight and flat as possible. The second is to look for roads that follow river valleys rather than trying to go 'over the top' of mountain ranges. In your specific case, I would recommend taking I-81 north into Maryland and then crossing the Appalachians on I-68 which mostly follows the Potomac and Cheat River Valleys to Morgantown WV. From there I-79 north to Pittsburgh and I-76/I-80 (the Turnpikes) will take you the rest of the way to Chicago.

Although it now carries an Interstate designation, the portion of the Pennsylvania Turnpike through the mountains was built before the Interstate Highway Program was launched and doesn't fully meet those standards. And I-64, your other option, would be longer and can be a bit twisty as it crosses several low mountain ranges and north-south running river valleys.

AZBuck

It's 225 miles longer, but I'd almost consider taking I-81 and I-40 to Nashville, then I-24 and I-57 to Chicago. The reason I suggest this is I-68 has some stretches that may be uncomfortable, and the stretch through Cumberland is way below Interstate standards with a 40 mph speed limit.

Default Hardly Seems Worth It

While I-68 through Cumberland is technically below Interstate standards, it is a flat and straight controlled access highway - the OP's criteria for a preferred route. The stretch with a 40 mph speed limit is less than 5 miles long, costing less than 3 minutes more than if it had a 60 mph limit. That does not, by any stretch of my imagination, justify driving an additional 225 miles to avoid it.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-26-2016 at 08:24 AM.

I was referring more to the fact that it's narrow, hilly, and winding through Cumberland. That's why it's 40 mph. The stretch up and over Sideling Hill may not be very comfortable either.

Default I-68 from Cumberland to Morgantown, WV

A year ago, I-68 from Morgantown to Cumberland was the last leg of a very long day's drive towing our camper. I found the ups and downs to be rather greater than expected, and it was twisty enough that I asked the wife to look up when it was built, thinking it may have been a "do-over" of an older route, as is the PA Turnpike.

It's been a very long time since I drove I-64 between Covington, VA and Charleston, WV, but I have a notion it may be the least of several evils for the OP.

Foy