1. Default Road trip from Dallas to Sanfrancisco

Hi,
    Planning on a road trip from Dallas to Sanfrancisco with family. Need suggestions on safe stopovers with kids. Following are the places planning to see:

1. Dallas to Aspen, Colorado.
    2. Aspen to Grand Canyons
    3. Grand Canyons to SF ( may stopover at Las Vegas!)

Ideally would not like to drive for more than 8 hrs/ day.
    Would appreciate suggestions for best route and safe hotels/ places to stay.
    Thanks
    Nad

Default More info.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Most places are safe to stay but what you haven't told us is how much time you have, what your interests are and whether or not you end in SF or have to return to Dallas. The best route is the one that takes you to the places you want to go in the time you have, there is no single best route. Tell us more with as much info as possible and then we can give meaningful advice.

3. Default

Thanks for your reply.
    We've 2.5 - 3 weeks. Have already been to California couple of times, always flew there. This time I wanted to try a road trip. Mainly for sight seing. I think there is not much for sight seeing if we go directly from Dallas to CA, thats why I added Aspen, CO and Grand Canyons. Want to stay in Sanfrancisco just for a week.
    I'm ok if it takes a week to get to Sanfrancisco.

Here is the break down:
    Want to stay 2-3 nights in Aspen.
    Google shows roughly 14 hrs drive from Dallas to Aspen... Would like to cover most of it the first day and stop over for a night somewhere inbetween.

Want to stay 2 night near Grand Canyons. Also, can we drive from Aspen to GC in a day ( google shows 2 routes, 10- 12 hrs each) or would you suggest a overnight stopover?

From Grand Canyon would like to go to Sanfrancisco directly but I know we'll have to take an overnight stop. One option is Las Vegas, But have been to Las Vegas before.
    Any suggestions where else we can stopover for a night?
    (Don't wanna go to South California, been there before).

On our way back to Dallas, we just want to get home asap ( roughly it'll take 3 days), if there are any vista points, would like to see those and need advise for safe route and overnight stops, city/area.

After writing all this, now I'm thinking is it worth taking a road trip to SF, lol. I just want to touch as many places as I can on my way to SF and our way back to Dallas.

Thanks
    Nad

Rather than enjoying yourself one way and then sprinting back home, why don't you break up your trip so you have things you can do both directions. That could also help eliminate some of the zig-zagging by going up to Aspen and back down to the Grand Canyon.

One direction you could make your way to Aspen, perhaps visit some of the other National Parks in Colorado and Utah, and then continue to SF either using US-50 or I-80, passing near Lake Tahoe along the way.

Then, coming back, take the more direct route, which takes you near the Grand Canyon anyway.

Keep in mind with your planning, google maps times should not be considered reliable - they will typically underestimate the actual time by at least 20%. If you want to limit yourself to 8 hours a day, then you should plan to do no more than 500 miles in a day (even that can quickly look more like 9 hours) and that's when you're on freeways. If you're taking 2 lane roads, plan to cover even less ground than that.

I agree with Michael in that creating a loop that will allow you to sight see both directions would be a good way to go about planning, unless of course you are tied by dates in SF. There are just so many amazing places you could visit, but if you are set on 3 nights in Aspen and a week in SF you will have to pick and choose. 3 days to get home from SF would amount to at least 10 hours each day on the road with adequate food and rest breaks. If you take the northerly route out you could drive down the scenic coast to the Morro Bay area and then head inland towards Grand canyon. Have you been to Yosemite before ?

6. Default

Thank you Michael and Dave for your advise.
    We have 8 days/7 nights to get to CA.
    From Aspen we can go to Yosemite park and stay there for a night or two. Google is showing me 15 hr route from I70-US50- US6.... Could you plz let me know if this is the suggested route and where to take overnight stop?

Thanks
    Nad

As Michael also mentioned, Google map time estimates are way to optimistic for 'real world' driving. The trip from Aspen to Yosemite is 2 full days on the road and with one overnight stop you would be looking at Ely NV, but it would be a 10 hour day to get there from Aspen. There are limited lodging options in Baker as well. You could split the trip into 3 days and possibly stay one night in or around Moab for a visit to Arches or Canyonlands NP and then a night in Baker/Ely with a possible visit to Great Basin NP. So with 7 nights you could stop 1 night on route to Aspen, 2 nights Aspen, 1 night Moab, 1 night Ely and 2 nights Yosemite.

Of course there are many options available to choose from and it's your trip so do a little research and see what is best for you.

8. Default

Thankyou Dave for all your help.