1. Default First Road Trip: Toronto Canada --> Monterey, CA

I'm planning a one-way road trip from Toronto to Monterey in early August and would appreciate any advice!

This trip's main purpose is to help me move to Monterey, but because my parents are also coming, I'd like this trip to be a little bit more fun for them than just driving across the country. We have a 2014 Toyota RAV 4, it's practically new at only 8000 km (<5000 miles). Based on the rough estimates from a couple websites, the total drive time is around 40 hours, so the timeframe I have planned for this road trip is around 7-8 days.

There are a couple places that we would like to stop at to meet with friends: St. Louis, Missouri, and San Francisco CA. We would also like to see one or two national parks on the way, and would like to have some flexibility with the route we choose. We have had short road trips and day trips to Niagara Falls and Buffalo, but other than that, we really don't have much experience with road trips and therefore I'm here to research and seek advice on lodging choices (we are looking at motels), dining choices (some local food would be great, but not a must), and just general driving tips. I am also technically "importing" my car to the US, and I've looked at some of the legal requirements like the emissions standards and compliance requirements. But if anyone has any experience or advice on this I'd also greatly appreciate it if you could share them with me.

Thanks in advance!

South of England.

Default Real world driving.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The first thing you need to be aware of is that on line mapping time estimates are way to optimistic for the real world. A computer does not need to stop for food, fuel, bathroom and rest breaks and nor does it have to tackle congestion and construction on the roads. Secondly this is not a trip that can be measured in hours, it will be 5 overnight stops and the best part of 6 days minimum. If you spend a day with friends in St Louis and SF your time has all but gone and there won't be time to explore National parks. Look to cover between 500 and 600 miles per day and no more, it's a marathon trip and not a sprint so don't get tempted to push too hard at the start or you will end up fatigued half way through.

Someone else will likely be able to help with the car import but I know CA has some of the toughest emission rules.

Tucson, AZ

Default Details

Here's a quick summary of what's involved in 'importing' a car to California. Note that according to the California DMV website: "California considers a new vehicle to be any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time it is purchased or acquired." So your car would qualify as new, but only if you have the original invoice, since it will have more than 7,500 miles on it by the time you arrive. It is also becoming more common, as other jurisdictions tighten their regulations, for more cars to be 'California certified', so check under the hood.

As Dave pointed out, a schedule that only allows eight days, envisions detours to St. Louis and San Francisco, and day-long stops in each of those cities, is pretty close to the minimum time possible for such a trip. And that's using the most direct route, which doesn't come anywhere near any of the major national parks of the west. So if you want this to be enjoyable, you'll need to find an extra couple of days at least.