1. Default History and Baseball

Hi,
    This is similar to other threads but more days. Will be traveling one month. First leg to Williamsburg is set. From there I was planning on:
    Tour Thomas Jefferson Monticello traveling towards
    Skyline Drive then through Shenandoah Nat'l Park. Spend night to then see Luray Caverns. Pass through Warrenton then off to Baltimore. Catch a ballgame and then to DC. Eight days in DC with Nats ballgame trip to Mount Vernon.
    Leave DC, stop in Gettyburg, stay 2 nights in Hershey and then two days in Philly. Catch a Philly's game and tour some sites.
    Next stop is NY. Stay for 2 days to watch Yankees, drive to Boston to see Red Sox, stay for 2 days and then back to NY for seven days and see Mets. Baseball and History. Is this drive realistic? Thanks

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Certainly your rough outline is realistic. You're spending a full month, and even your farthest two points are within 2 days drive of each other, so, at most, you may need to make some minor tweeks while you are on the road.

That said, I'm not entirely certain of the details of your trip. Your "first leg to Williamsburg is set" but you never said where you are actually starting from. Similarly, if you're trying to go from Williamsburg to Monticello, and do Skyline and Shenandoah all in one day, then that would be way too much.

If you have a love of baseball and history, I'd think a stop in Cooperstown would make sense - and that could certainly be fit somewhere into your trip between NYC and Boston. There would also be numerous opportunities to watch some minor league baseball throughout your trip as well.

Real briefly:

Are you renting a car? If so, then your extended stays in the DC area would be better spend without a car rental for the entire period. You can rent a car for a day trip to a couple of local sights such as Mount Vernon, otherwise you the Metro (subway). For the Philadelphia, NYC, Boston legs I would suggest riding the rails instead of driving the highways.

You will probably want to spend the night of the baseball game in Baltimore (Go O's!).

Trust you have taken a glance at the major league schedules in planning your trip?

Lot's of minor league teams in the area.

You didn't say how much time you intended to spend in Gettysburg. This is a place where you need a full day to see much of anything, especially if Civil War history is something you spend time with. The museum/visitor center itself is incredible -- my husband and I spent a half day there, and could have spent the whole day! The drive itself can be done in a half day, but if you want to get out and walk up to the Round Tops, Devil's Den, climb up the 3 observation towers to really view the area, and spend any time at all in the cemetery and where the Gettysburg Address podium is, you need a full day for that.

Donna

5. Default

Thanks for your response. Our drive will commence in Nashville with a night spent in Roanake to break up the drive to Williamburg. I literally planned this in a day so am open to suggestions and tweaks. I will research the drive leaving Williamburg. Definitely don't want to drive in the dark. And Cooperstown sounds like a great idea. Although may want to wait till my 10 yr old plays there. 😜

6. Default

Yes, travel caters to the schedule hence NY to Boston and then back to NY. I do plan on renting car but ditching in DC and NY.
    I briefly looked at the rails. Is that Amtrak? The highway and toll do scare me. Can it be worse than the 405 in Los Angeles? Thanks for your input.

7. Default

Donna, I was planning to spend only half a day but we are flexible. Thanks for providing additional spots to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMack View Post
    Thanks for your response. Our drive will commence in Nashville with a night spent in Roanake to break up the drive to Williamburg.
    I'm not sure I quite follow the logic of your plan. If you're starting in Nashville, you'll be driving right past Skyline Drive/Shenandoah/Monticello on your way to Williamsburg. It sure seems like it would make a lot more sense to visit those 3 attractions first, rather than retracing your footsteps.

Are you planning to return to Nashville at the end of your trip?

While DC and New York (and Philly and Boston) are cities where a car is not needed, have you priced out the car rental costs? Doing multiple one-way car rentals will likely get very expensive, and could cost more than just keeping the same car the entire time.

With DC and New York, leaving the rental at the hotel and taking public transportation in, is a lot less expensive and lots less headaches.

As far as traffic there vs. the 405 in LA -- ugh to both. I would say they're probably equal in the UGH mode.

Donna

10. Default

Good to know. I'm flying out from California to meet my parents and we are all driving to Williamsburg together from Nashville. My mom booked Williamsburg for the family but then I will head out on the rest of the detailed trip with my kids. My parents return home. I will return home via plane from NY.