1. Default RV trip from Ontario Canada to San Diego

Family of 8 in RV heading to:
    Mt. Rushmore
    Yellowstone (Old Faithful)
    Grand Canyon (Hoover Dam)
    Las Vegas
    San Diego

ANY advice or road trip suggestions would be helpful. Just recently got RV and this is the first 'real' adventure (have been to Myrtle Beach and New Orleans for test runs)

Our sons will be assisting with the driving so we want as little mountain range as possible. We are doing this road trip in 10 days sog we know we wont have alot of time in any one place but want the family time and adventure more than anything.

My MAIN concern is the trip from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone (I believe the best route is up into Montana ???) and then need assistance from Yellowstone down to Grand Canyon.

Thanks for any suggestions, advice or help!

Hello and welcome to RTA !

You say you have just got the RV so to be clear, is this a round trip back to Ontario, or is San Diego the end point ? Yellowstone really needs a minimum of 3 days just to see the highlights and if you have only just got the RV then why make your first trip a slog, its much better for it to be relaxed and fun. Is the RV fitted with 8 seat belts as it is law in most States that everyone is belted up when moving.

3. Default

thanks for the response
    yes 10 belts in RV actually - its law in Canada too ;)
    we only are going to Yellowstone to see Old Faithful. I know this trip sounds absurd but its a memorial trip in memory of my parents i just lost. So just stopping for a picture and a memory is all we are looking for on this trip

it is round trip - we plan on driving along the bottom part of usa to Dallas and then onto Canada. WE do plan on doing some non stop driving as we have 4 drivers

I have to agree that it does sound absurd I am sorry to say. Non stop drives will be miserable for everyone as nobody willl be getting proper rest while strapped into a chair, including the next driver so you are all going to get fatigued. If all you want to do is drive and sleep every day you still barely have time for the driving alone. So sorry for your loss but you should reconsider as to mske this a memorable trip you really need time to reflect. I think that what you are considering at the moment could put your safety at risk unless you can find more time.

5. Default

do you have a suggestion for best road to take from Yellowstone to Grand Canyon? we are currently talking about adding more days :)

The only practical way for your trip would be the quickest, I-15. You could head to the north or south rim. Keep in mind there are no quick visits to Yellowstone, the roads are slow and wildlife jams are normal. You could have to wait an hour for Old Faithfull to perform and thats after finding parking and walking.

I am going to agree with SWDave on many points. I realize this is a memorial trip, and I am truly sorry for your loss. But what worries me just as much, are the risks that you are going to be taking, trying to do a trip like this in only 10 days. You could be part of the memorial trip for someone else, too easily.

The mileage alone, round trip, will be around 6000 miles, depending on where in Ontario you live (I calculated from Ottawa). That right there means 600 miles PER DAY. In a motorhome, that's going to take about 14 hours of driving. That leaves very little time for sightseeing anything.

Dave is correct about the "quick visit" to Yellowstone. Personal experience here -- animal jams can stop you for hours, you can arrive at Old Faithful's parking lot and struggle to find a spot to accommodate your rig, wait for OF to blow, and then try to navigate out of the lot with everyone else.

Grand Canyon doesn't get nearly the wildlife jams that Yellowstone does, but the South Rim is crowded and parking will be at issue. Just pulling up and trying to find a spot, catch the tram out to the western rim drive will be "fun" with your large group.

Here's what I'd suggest: If getting more time to do this trip isn't possible, then save GC/LV/SDiego for a trip down the line. Do this trip in 2 trips. Go to Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone this trip, instead....much more doable and you'll have more time to enjoy the memories of the previous trip.

Donna