Thread: Unsure of trip

1. Default Unsure of trip

Hello Roadtrip America. My 11 year old daughter and I are driving from WA to SLC and then to Grand Junction. On our way back I thought we would visit Moab~Grand Basin National Park, NV ~Yosemite~ SF~ Drive PCH~ end with a week with friends in Bandon and then back to WA.

Too much? Any thoughts or feedback would be helpful

Thanks

Default Not if you have enough time.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It's really impossible to tell whether or not it is too much without knowing how much time you will have for the trip. [?]

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It's really impossible to tell whether or not it is too much without knowing how much time you will have for the trip. [?]
    Oh, of course. Sorry. I can leave on Aug 6 and am due to arrive in Bandon OR on August 14~
    I would prefer to drive no longer than 8 hours at a time... but will if necessary!
    Thank you

Default Probably too much.

In that case I would say that it might be a bit much to enable you some quality time with your daughter, as it would be close to 7 days of driving for 8 hours per day to get to Bandon, following your route. [depending on where in WA] Even if you done longer stretches on the road, it really isn't going to allow you time to enjoy the Moab area, Yosemite, and the coast etc. Unless you have something in particular to do in Grand junction you could go direct to Moab from SLC and then from SF head north up the coast instead of heading south towards the PCH. [If you were to do the PCH it would be better to go from Yosemite to Cambria area and then up to SF]

5. Default

It felt like too much to me ~ Lots of fun; but lots of driving! Thanks! I will look again. We are visiting in Grand Junction.

6. Default

Any suggestions about places to stay or things to do between GJ and SF?

Default Have to start breaking it down to days.

You already have some great ideas, it's just how it fits in with the rest of your trip time wise. A day [day and a half] in Yosemite would be top of my list taking US50 to Ely [Great basin NP ?] and then US6 through Tonopah to CA120, which becomes the spectacular Tioga Pass into Yosemite. Much will depend on the time you have left when you leave GJ, how much time you want to spend in SF and then whether you want to break the journey to Bandon or not. It would be a long day if you didn't and you would miss out on the Redwoods if you didn't.