Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Need two great routes

Looking for two routes that are great for driving and views from the car.

First if from Grand Junction CO to St George UT. Stay on the interstate or get off on either 24 or 72 down to 12 to 89 to 9 for one day drive or another route?

Second St George to Oceanside. I think I the Palm Desert/Palm Springs to Oceanside figured out. Get off on before Vegas at 169 to 167 back to I15 go thru Mojave National preserve to and thru Joshua Tree National Park to I10 to 74? or another route. Again 1 day of driving.

Thanks

Default No contest.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra4miles View Post
    First is from Grand Junction CO to St George UT. Stay on the interstate or get off on either 24 or 72 down to 12 to 89 to 9 for one day drive or another route?
    This trip you describe is spectacular, and would be my first choice in a heartbeat. If by the time you get to US89, time is running short, you have the option to continue on UT 14 to I-15 and take the interstate the rest of the way.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 06-06-2016 at 02:37 PM.

When you get to US-89 near Bryce Canyon, there are only 2 main ways to get to I-15, which are UT-14 to Cedar City or UT-9 through Zion - unless you detour north to UT-20.

Another very scenic option is go into Panguitch and pick up UT-143 and take that to Cedar Breaks, then UT-148 to UT-14.

4. Default

Thanks to both reply's. It looks like there are 3 routes to get to where 89 and 12 meet by Bryce from the north. Heading west on I 70 and exit at either 24 to 12 to 89, 72(24 to 12 to 89 or 24 to 62 to 12) or 89 and head south. All seem to be about the same mileage and within an hour or two drive time.

At 89 and 12 head south on 89 to 9 than back to I 15 at mile marker 16 or go one the routes GLC mentioned. Looking both views and fun to drive?

Any thoughts on day 2?

UT-12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon is one of the greatest scenic drives you will find anywhere.

If you take UT-9 through Zion, you will have to pay a $30 park admission fee. Cedar Breaks admission fee is $5.

Take UT24 through Hanksville which is a great drive and even more spectacular when doubled up with scenic 12. That will also take you past Capital Reef NP. About 15 miles south of Torrey on 12 is a pull out called the Larb Hollow overlook, it's well worth a few minutes to take in the view and stretch the legs. Just north of Tropic on 12 is another little parking area for the Mossy cave trail where there are some Hoodoo's and creek, again worth a 10 minute break although the cave is not great, the walk is pleasant.

Any thoughts on day 2?
    It's going to be quite a full day but heading straight down through The Mojave preserve and Amboy would be nice. Joshua tree NP is possible as a drive through but time won't be on your side. I would like to recommend Death valley as it's a wonderful landscape to drive through but that could quickly turn into a 12 hour day.

8. Default

If both drives are about equal I think I will save the extra money and do Zion another time when I can enjoy the park for an entire day or more. Cedar Breaks looks like the route via 24 to 12.

I did a google map search and it looks like death valley is about an hour less drive time. We can pull into Oceanside at anytime on the 12th. 13th recovery day than leave at noon on the 14th to Annapolis in 12 days or less. We had out east, south of Salton Sea.

Still open on the second day route. Any other input would be great.

Again Thanks for the advice. Have not been in Southern CA since the 1976 Long Beach GP and have never driven west and south of Glenwood Springs,CO.

Cedar Breaks looks like the route via 24 to 12.
    24 to 12 to US-89 into Panguitch, then 143 to 148 to 14 to I-15.

Since 1976, eh?

You will find that the San Diego metropolitan area has spread out a LOT since then. You won't know where Oceanside ends, Encinitas begins, etc. The only thing that will be noticeable will be where Oceanside ends and where Camp Pendleton begins.

Donna