Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Road Trip from Niagra Falls to Boston

I am planning on coming from Niagara Falls on June 30 and coming to Boston on that same day. I will be staying in Boston until July 2. Is there anything to see coming down to Boston? I was also wondering where to stay in Boston. I am planning on getting the 3 day pass so I need a hotel that is close to the activities. I can't spend a fortune on a hotel but $75- $100 is ok. I want something nice but not too pricey.

Default The big picture?

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Your post confuses me a little. Do I understand correctly that you will be driving from Niagara to Boston on 30th June? If you only have till 2nd July in Boston, you will only have two days to use your three day pass. It takes the best part of a full day's drive to make the trip on the NY Thruway and the MassPike. If you are planning to visit the Falls on the same day, you will have precious little time for any of the activities which go with visiting the Falls.

If this is part of a bigger trip, and not just Niagara to Boston, it would be helpful if we had the big picture to perhaps give more relevant advice.

As for accommodation, hopefully others can be more helpful. I have only ever stayed with family.

Lifey

Default A Day in Boston

Lifey is pretty much dead on that it's going to be a full day's drive from Niagara Falls to Boston. While you might have an hour or two for a short hike along the Erie canal or at a state park close to the Turnpikes, you really won't have time for much more than that, so just relax and enjoy what can actually be a fairly scenic drive if the weather co-operates.

If you are going to leave Boston on July 2nd at any time other than in the evening, then you really only have the July 1st to see much of Boston. Given how hard it is to drive and park in Boston, probably your best bet to see the city is to use the great pedestrian path around some of the city's great historic sites: the Freedom Trail. As for accommodations, I suspect that you will have difficulty finding acceptable room(s) for under $100. When I stayed at a hotel in the harbor for my nephew's wedding several years ago, rooms were significant multiples of that rate. What you might want to look at are areas farther out of downtown, but with access to a 'T' line. Again, driving and in Boston are difficult, being farther out and using public transport into the heart of the city might be the way to go.

AZBuck

4. Default From Niagara Falls to Boston 2nd post

Thank you for your help. I see that I won't have much time in Boston. I am sorry if I confused you. I will be coming from Niagara Falls on the 30th so I should get in Boston sometime that evening. I didn't realize the drive through Boston was so hard to drive through. I was going to get the 3 day pass because it would be cheaper and I could get all the activities but it seems I won't have time to do the activities after all. I know for sure I want to do Sturbridge and plimoth (I believe that is how you spell those two places) which come on the 3 day pass. So I guess that will take my two days. So should I stay in Boston or outside of Boston. I have to be in Lake Placid on the 3rd so I have some time on the 3rd to explore Boston if it doesn't take too long to drive to Lake Placid.

Moderator Note: Please hit "reply to thread," not "create new thread" when discussing this trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-06-2016 at 03:14 PM. Reason: merged threads

Default Outer suburbs.

Neither Sturbridge nor Plymouth are in Boston. Plymouth is 40 miles south on the coast. Sturbridge is 60 miles south west of Boston on I-84.

If those places are high on your list of musts, I suggest you not head to Boston from Niagara, but stop short and head down I-84. It would probably be best to find accommodation in the Oxford / Southbridge area. That would allow you to visit Sturbridge (and old Sturbridge village) by car on July 1st. Then head to Plymouth on the coast. Looking for accommodation for that second night in that area.

On your last day - depending on the time of your flight - you might want to explore Plymouth a little more, or spend some time exploring Boston on foot. You would need to consider whether to turn in the car, or park it so you can drive it to the airport. Remember, taking it into the city is virtually a no-no.

Maybe Buck will be able to give more specific advice on accommodation in those areas.

Lifey

6. Default

Thank you so much. I am renting a car in Niagara Falls and when I finish my trip, I will return the car back to Niagara Falls. I am spending 3 days in Niagara then driving down to the Boston area. Then after I spend 3 days in Boston, I am going to Lake Placid. One of the 3 days will actually probably be the night we get there. So actually I have 2 days and maybe a few hours on the day we leave for lake placid.
    You said don't go into the city by car. So if you say don't go into the city in a car, how do you get into the city? I am so glad ya'll are here to help people like me so that my vacation will not be a nightmare. I am from a small state and I don't like driving in a huge city.
    Oh yea someone said it takes a long time to drive through the Ma and NY turnpikes. So when do you get on these and does it cost?
    While I am in Lake Placid I plan on going out from there but I don't know exactly what to do. I think I want to go to Vermont. I love nature. I know one day I am going to go to Ausable Chasm and then to a waterfall at letchworth state park. Is there a must see around Lake Placid?

If I recall correctly, "Plymouth" is the correct spelling for the Rock as well as the townsite. "Plimouth" is the spelling used for the re-creation of the Pilgrim settlement, "Plimouth Plantation".

I'll let someone else respond with more detail about getting around Boston. If it were me, I'd stay on the edge of the city and use public transport to get in and around, like one might do in NYC. Narrow streets and all that stuff!

Donna

Default The basics.

Your hire car will probably have an EZPass or Fast Lane Pass. They will be able to tell you how much each section costs, or you can find it on the various web sites. I have never bothered about how much it is, when I have to drive it, I just do, and pay. What I do know is, that if your car does not have a transponder, the tolls will be about double in cash.

In your case I would get onto I-90, the NY Thruway, in Niagara, and take it straight through to I-84, if you want to go to Sturbridge. Like all interstates these roads are heavily travelled, but I have not had a great deal of problems. Yes you might strike construction, or an accident, but the bottom line is, there is no better way to get from where you are to where you want to get.

As for how would you get into the city. You might follow Buck's advice above in post #3.

Lifey

Edit: I note you have added the outline of your complete trip, which, had we known at the start, the responses would have been more relevant.
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 06-06-2016 at 06:18 PM. Reason: add information.

9. Default

Thank all of you for the advice.

Default Not Impossible, But...

It's not that it's impossible to drive into Boston, people do it every day. But it is very confusing. Many of the streets were originally cow paths back in colonial days. As my sister (who lived in Boston) used to say: "If you ask somebody for directions and they use the phrase 'Go straight', ignore them - there's no such thing in Boston!" By t5he same token, parking is available, but it will be in lots and garages and will be expensive. As I noted in my original response to you, the best way to get in and out of town is to use the 'T' from an outer suburb.

I'm still not sure of your itinerary, but it looks as though you only have two days in the Boston area, NOT counting the day to drive there from Niagara Falls NOR the day to drive back. If that's the case and Old Sturbridge Village and Plimoth Plantation are on your agenda, then I'd just skip Boston altogether and just spend a day each at those locations, and your three nights in the Milford area which is relatively convenient to both and would save you from moving too often.

AZBuck