Copenhagen, Denmark

Default RT: Chicago ILL to AL, coastal drive towards N.M., up to badlands S.Dak, return ILL

We are planning a road trip from Chicago to Alabama, a coastal drive towards New Mexico, up towards Badlands in South Dakota and returning to Chicago. We have 4 weeks. Is it even possible to make that trip in 4 weeks without having to rush? I want the fridom to stay a couple of days if we find something interesting on the way and also we don't want to have to drive all day every day 😏
    All surgestions on routes or "must see" is more than welcome. Nothing is planned in details yet as we just today desided USA, 4 weeks and lack wisiting Alabama 😀

time of travel 2nd week of september and 4 weeks ahead. Could there be any risk of flooding or tornadoes in september?

Thanks in advance

Melbourne, Australia

Default A nice bit of time to be flexible.

Hi Jette, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

At something like around 3000 - 5000 miles, depending on how far you venture of any direct route to seek out attractions, such a trip would still average less than 200 miles per day, or roughly 4 hours' driving.

I fully understand your reason to stay flexible, as that is the way I like to travel Stay as long as I want in an interesting place and move on when ready.

There is however one thing you need to be aware of, the first Monday in September is a publuic holiday, and the last holiday for summer and before school goes back. Many people take that opportunity to get away. I would not leave looking for accommodation for that weekend till the last minute.

As for weather issues, that of course is anyone's guess. The weather will do what it does, but I would not be too concerned. In 12 several month long trips, I am yet to be affected by a weather event.

Tucson, AZ

Default Quite Possible

Velkommen! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Yes, you can easily cover the ground you want to in four weeks. Indeed, you could cover it in about a week of steady driving. So on average, you would only have to cover about 130 miles a day or so leaving plenty of time for serendipitous finds or spending a few days in a given area. We don't believe in a single set of "must see" sites here. The essence of a RoadTrip is personal freedom to see what you want at your own pace. With that in mind, there are a few places that you should at least consider: The Great River Road down the Mississippi River valley; some river towns such as Ste. Genevieve, Cape Girardeau, or Memphis; a bit of the Natchez Trace Parkway; Gulf Islands National Seashore; the Creole Nature Trail; Austin/San Antonio/the LBJ Ranch; Capulin and Petroglyph National Monuments; Great Sand Dunes National Park, Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument, Rocky Mountain National Park; Badlands National Park, Mount Rushmore, Wind and Jewel Caves, Devils Tower, Crazy Horse Monument; and lots more. If you have specific interests, let us know.

Copenhagen, Denmark

Thank you both Lifey and AZBuck
    Great info �� We will proceed the planning!