Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Trip from Boston around New England to Niagara

My wife and I are coming to Boston at the end of September for 2 weeks. Our plan is to spend 3 days in Boston and then explore ending up in Niagara for 1 day before flying back to Boston and on to UK. We want to see the leaves in the fall and are happy to stay at different places for 2/3 nights. We will be hiring a car.

We are looking for suggestions for a route and things to see and do. We prefer rural/small towns to cities.

Thanks in anticipation.

Default That one way drop fee!

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Whereas others I am sure can help you with the specifics of routes and destinations, the first thing which sprung to my mind is, why would you fly back to Boston? Besides the airfare, it will probably incur a significant one way drop fee on the car rental, especially dropping it in NY.

I have driven Niagara-Boston on several occasions, and although it is a full day's drive, it is not a stressful day's drive on the NY Thruway and the Masspike.

You may like to reconsider.

Lifey

Default A Slight Re-Arrangement Might Be In Order

I have to agree with Lifey that it makes precious little sense to end your RoadTrip in Niagara Falls and then fly back to Boston. There is the obvious added expense of the one-way drop off fee on the rental car as well as the unnecessary internal flight. But there's another factor to consider. Late September is just getting to the very beginning of fall foliage season, but western New York, and lower elevations in general, will see the leaves start to change colors later than places farther north or in the mountains. For those reasons, we would encourage you to look at an itinerary that went from Boston to Niagara initially and then returned through the Thousand Islands and Adirondacks to northern New England for your best chance at good 'leaf-peeping' before ending up back in Boston for your return fight to the UK.

To give you some idea of the variety of places to visit along such a route, have a look at previous discussions of itineraries between Boston and Niagara Falls and the many options in New England. Once, after careful consideration, you determine your final routing, we can offer a bit more specific advice on places to stay for a few nights that will give you access to some nice local scenic drives and venues, particularly if you also let us know what interests you the most besides small towns and leaves.

AZBuck

4. Default

Thanks for that, haven't looked into drop off fees, they don't tend to be too expensive in UK. The reason for flying back was to spend another day on the road and then transfer at Boston straight onto London flight

5. Default

Hi there,

Very helpful advice thank you. Will get back to you when we have a firmer route in mind. We were thinking of going north first then dropping down to Niagara. We are now thinking of leaving Niagara for another trip and doing a circle route north from Boston.

6. Default New England tour

Hi there,

Our plan has now been revised and fleshed out, Niagara will have to wait for another trip!

Our outline plan is as follows:

Arrive 28th Sept spend 2/3 nights in Boston (hotel booked)
    Travel to Brattleboro,VT for 1/2 nights
    Travel to Middlebury, VT for 3 nights
    Travel to Jefferson, NH for 3 nights
    Travel to Skowhegan, ME for 2 nights (I picked this on the map, but have no idea whether it or somewhere in the area would be better? We're thinking of a drive to Greenville while in that area, but don't want to stay that far north)
    Travel to Exeter, NH for 2 nights
    Fly back from Boston

Advice please on places to stay in or near to our proposed stopovers and on places to visit while there.

As I said on the previous post we want to see leaves, scenery, and any interesting historical sites or special buildings/architecture. We are happy wandering around small towns, but don't want big cities.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help,

Grant

Please keep all comments about the same trip in the same place, and not create multiple threads. - Mod

Perhaps the reason for lower one-way-drop fees in the UK is that it is a smaller country. :-)

You are best off doing a loop trip. No one-way-drop fees that way.

Donna

Default Hmmmm...

While I like the fact that you have cut back on the miles to be driven and have decided to work out of a few home bases where you'll stay for a few nights each, the specific places you've decided to stay seem a bit odd to me. Brattleboro is fine for exploring the Connecticut River valley, the southern reaches of the Green Mountains, the Berkshires and even the Albany NY area, but rather than Middlebury, I'd look for something a little farther north, specifically more convenient to Montpelier/Barre, Stowe, Burlington and Lake Champlain.

But I'm really curious as to why you chose Jefferson. While I love it (my brother has a summer home there), it's not particularly handy to the best sights of northern Mew Hampshire. Littleton might be a better choice, giving ready access to the Connecticut River and many covered bridges in Vermont, Franconia Notch and the Kancamagus Highway. Still if you're looking at the Mountain View Grand Resort, I understand.

The one spot that really is awkward, and you seem to recognize it, is Skowhegan. There's really not much to see in the area besides a lot of woods, or maybe a river rafting adventure. If you want to experience Maine, I'd suggest coastal Maine and heading from the White Mountains of New Hampshire down past Sebago Lake to Portland. From there you can both explore up the coast ('Down East' as it's known locally) taking in towns like Freeport, Bath and one of the peninsulas sticking out into the Atlantic, as well as get a bit of a small urban experience in Portland itself.

And finally Exeter is fine for a final stay, but Portsmouth is a bit more centrally located for the coast, has a better range of accommodations and a bit more to do in the town itself. It certainly doesn't qualify as a 'big city', and it has a bit of history in Strawbery Banke, John Paul Jones' hone, the USS Albacore as well as a few nearby state parks. Again, I may be a bit prejudiced since I worked in Portsmouth for a dozen years while living just across the state line in York ME.

Again, nothing terribly wrong with your choices, but they could be tweaked just a bit. Once you decide on final stopping points, I may be able to offer some more specific advice. BTW - what kinds of accommodations are you looking for?

AZBuck

9. Default Developing the trip

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    While I like the fact that you have cut back on the miles to be driven and have decided to work out of a few home bases where you'll stay for a few nights each, the specific places you've decided to stay seem a bit odd to me. Brattleboro is fine for exploring the Connecticut River valley, the southern reaches of the Green Mountains, the Berkshires and even the Albany NY area, but rather than Middlebury, I'd look for something a little farther north, specifically more convenient to Montpelier/Barre, Stowe, Burlington and Lake Champlain.

But I'm really curious as to why you chose Jefferson. While I love it (my brother has a summer home there), it's not particularly handy to the best sights of northern Mew Hampshire. Littleton might be a better choice, giving ready access to the Connecticut River and many covered bridges in Vermont, Franconia Notch and the Kancamagus Highway. Still if you're looking at the Mountain View Grand Resort, I understand.

The one spot that really is awkward, and you seem to recognize it, is Skowhegan. There's really not much to see in the area besides a lot of woods, or maybe a river rafting adventure. If you want to experience Maine, I'd suggest coastal Maine and heading from the White Mountains of New Hampshire down past Sebago Lake to Portland. From there you can both explore up the coast ('Down East' as it's known locally) taking in towns like Freeport, Bath and one of the peninsulas sticking out into the Atlantic, as well as get a bit of a small urban experience in Portland itself.

And finally Exeter is fine for a final stay, but Portsmouth is a bit more centrally located for the coast, has a better range of accommodations and a bit more to do in the town itself. It certainly doesn't qualify as a 'big city', and it has a bit of history in Strawbery Banke, John Paul Jones' hone, the USS Albacore as well as a few nearby state parks. Again, I may be a bit prejudiced since I worked in Portsmouth for a dozen years while living just across the state line in York ME.

Again, nothing terribly wrong with your choices, but they could be tweaked just a bit. Once you decide on final stopping points, I may be able to offer some more specific advice. BTW - what kinds of accommodations are you looking for?

AZBuck
    Hi,

Sorry for the delay been away for a few days.

Reflecting on your suggestions, we're now looking at Hyde Park instead of Middlebury, thoughts, please? I picked Jefferson, because you suggested it in an earlier post as a place convenient for the White Mountains but with less visitors, but Littleton looks to be in a similar area.

Regarding the Skowhegan stop, the main purpose of the trip is to see the leaves in the fall and to pick up on some historical/special interest sights. Whilst I have no doubt the coastline is very beautiful, we spend most of the year living by the sea and I have spent a lot of time scuba diving off the Cornish coast which also has stunning Atlantic scenery. Last year we went to the Cape of Good Hope and the southern coast of South Africa. Consequently a coastal visit is not important to us. We thought Skowhegan might act as a base for exploring Northern Maine but if you think that is not worthwhile then what about Augusta? If not Portland is obviously an option.

Now looking at Portsmouth after your accommodation comment, also it is within easy reach of Exeter as well.

As far as accommodation is concerned, we are not looking for luxury, comfortable (3*?) will suffice. We are also looking at airbnb accommodations. We are aware it is Columbus day while we're there and that accommodation will be difficult for that weekend, hence looking to finalise stuff now. (BTW as a matter of interest we have seen his tomb in Seville cathedral and have visited the Alhambra palace in Granada where he reported his find to the King & Queen of Spain).

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Perhaps the reason for lower one-way-drop fees in the UK is that it is a smaller country. :-)

You are best off doing a loop trip. No one-way-drop fees that way.

Donna
    Not getting picky, but New England is 72000 sq miles, UK is 94000!! But I do take your point! ;->