1. Default Moving from Arizona to Massachusetts (Help)

Hi everyone,

I first want to say that I'm really happy that there is such a forum where people can share helpful advice for others when they head out on their road trips. I just graduated at Arizona State and I luckily got a great job out in Boston. I also just got a new car and I'm planning to leave next Tuesday and hopefully arrive by Friday early afternoon.

So according to Google maps, my 39 hour trip goes as follows:

Phoenix - Alberqurque - Oklahoma City - St. Louis - Indianapolis - Columbus - Cleveland - Buffalo - Syracuse - Albany - Boston

I really want to say that I want to drive 12 hours each day and make my Friday morning an easy 3 hour drive into Boston. I've never done anything like this before so my questions I have for all of you are:

• What are the best places to get a hotel? Should I be shooting for a small town or actual city? I'm sure small towns have the cheapest prices but as for safety, comfortability, reliability.
    • Is driving 12 hours a day really doable?
    • Since I have some pretty cool cities to go through, any recommendations on siteseeing?

Thank you guys so much for all of your help!

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Whereas distances on Google map are correct their timing is not. It's a computer so it thinks we can run all day at the speed limit without having to stop for fuel, food, rest or have to face traffic congestion and construction delays. So this is isn't a trip that can be measured in hours, it's at least 4 and a half days [5 really] to do this without becoming fatigued and a danger to yourself and others on the road. You will need to leave Monday to get in Friday afternoon or plan to arrive on Saturday.

With your time crunch you will be better off finding Motels just off Interstate exits and if you are near a main city look for those to the east of the centre. That way you will be going in the opposite direction of a lot of the morning rush traffic.

On multi day trips 10-11 hours driving with short stops will see you cover between 500 and 600 miles per day in real world driving which should be your limit for safety. Treat it as a marathon and not a sprint. Getting in a couple of hard days at the start while fresh will only see you crash and burn later into the journey. Hopefully not literally !!

Unless you extend your time considerably you won't have time for sight seeing.

Have a safe trip !

Default real world vs. computer world

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

It looks to me like you've fallen into some of the most common traps for people who don't have experience with a long roadtrip.

First of all, the 39 hour figure you're getting from Google is a complete and total fantasy. That assumes you never have to stop for gas or food, never have to slowdown for traffic, never see construction, etc. A trip of this length really needs to be measured in days, and that's where you really need to rethink your plans.

At 2650 miles, you really need a bare minimum of 4.5 days - so if you want to get there by Friday afternoon, you'll have to leave early on Monday, not Tuesday.

12 hours a day on the road really is too much, when you're talking about being on the road day after day after day. Professional Drivers are only allowed to be on the road for 10-11 hours each day because of safety concerns. Traveling cross country in many ways is work, and you need to treat it as such. At the end of a 12 hour shift at your job, you wouldn't be at your best - especially not on the 2nd or 3rd day in a row of doing it - and when you're being the wheel of a 2 ton machine doing 70+ mph, you really do need to be at your best.

Especially considering you've never done a long distance trip, you'd be wise to limit yourself to about 550 miles a day. The rough stopping points you'd want to look at would be Tucumcari, NM; Joplin, MO; Indianapolis, and Rochester, NY. Those are basically the maximum distances you should consider, and will all have lots of lodging options for you to pick from. If you want to do some exploring of the cool cities you will be going through, then you should scale those back, and plan for at least 5 full days on the road.

I am going to respectfully disagree with MWMichael regarding your overnight stops, assuming you're going to take the fastest way (I-40). Tempe to Tucumcari is 647 miles and definitely not a good idea. A better first stop out of Tempe would be Santa Rosa, NM. There's plenty there to choose from, for both lodging and eateries.

This will change your other stops, of course. After Santa Rosa, you're looking at Tulsa OK, Terre Haute, IN, Dubois PA, and then into Boston on the 5th day.

Donna

Donna is correct, I forgot google doesn't default to I-17 when I was looking at the distances.

The stops she listed are the ones I you should actually go with. I will also note that by recommending a stop in Dubois, she's suggested taking I-80 across PA instead of I-90 across NY, which I would also agree with - as it lets you skip the rather expensive tolls on the NY Thruway. If you'd prefer to stick with I-90, then Buffalo would be your final overnight.

6. Default

Thank you guys so much! This was EXTREMELY helpful. I guess there is no doubt in my mind now that I'm leaving early Monday morning and heading through Pennsylvania now!

That's good news ! Have a good and safe journey and if you get chance drop by and let us know how it all worked out.

Dave.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    That's good news ! Have a good and safe journey and if you get chance drop by and let us know how it all worked out.

Dave.
    I will definitey do that! Thanks again!

Default Looking orward to reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by nickk382 View Post
    I will definitey do that! Thanks again!
    In case you have not ventured that far on this site, there is a special forum especially for this purpose.

Lifey